Dark Chocolate Covered Bananas
Read the ingredients
I was at the grocery store the other day in the frozen vegetable aisle picking up some broccoli and cauliflower. As I was looking over the different items I went into the frozen fruit area, like strawberries, bananas and mango and there I spotted Chocolate covered bananas made by Dole. They were made with dark chocolate so I figured the only thing that would be bad was the amount of sugar. There was massive amounts of sugar and a couple others things I didn't want to put in my body. So it got me thinking, how hard could it be to make something like this? Using a good quality dark chocolate, bananas and a few other ingredients, I bought what I needed from the store and drove other to Trader Joe's where I bought some organic bananas (5 for a dollar) and the dark chocolate lover's chocolate bar ($1.99). I had some spices at home I knew I'd try in it.
It's cheaper making them from scratch
By buying the ingredients myself and making them at home I saved a couple dollars. I also in the end had a few bananas left over for breakfast the next couple days. The most important thing to me is what is in the food i'm eating. By making it myself, researching the ingredients I feel better knowing what I'm putting into my body.
- 1 box dark chocolate lover's chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided in two
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili power, divided in two
- 1 teaspoon pink salt, divided in two
- Take one bar of chocolate and place in a microwave save small glass bowl, I use a 1/2 cup serving dish, with one teaspoon of coconut oil and cook for 30 seconds. Mix and repeat till completely melted.
- Add half a teaspoon of chili pepper and half a teaspoon of salt and mix. Once the chocolate is mixed well and has cooled slightly you can begin dipping your bananas in. I use a fork, but you can use whatever you have. Make sure to cover the banana completely in chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is gone, repeat the first two steps with the second chocolate bar and banana. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before enjoying.