Delicious Banana Nut Muffins (VEGAN!)
Delicious Banana Nut Muffins
When bananas are very ripe (with cheetah-like spotting), they are perfect for banana breads and muffins.
Some people prefer healthier muffins and others prefer tastier muffins. I made this recipe fit somewhere in the middle, with tips on how to alter the recipe to your liking.
With a minor modification, this muffin recipe can be vegan-friendly.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, ripened and smashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Grease and flour muffin pan, or line pan with muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, applesauce, vanilla extract, canola oil, and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until mixed well.
- Add combined dry ingredients to banana mixture, mixing on low speed just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling ¾ of the way.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) for 18-22 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
|Serving size: 1 muffin|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Sugar 16 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- This recipe works great with either all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour (for a healthier version). Both produce great tasting results.
- If you like your muffins on the sweeter side, increase the sugar by 1/4 cup.
- No canola oil on hand? Use vegetable oil or vegan butter.
- Freezes well.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Audrey