Besan Burfi (Chickpea Flour Burfi) Made with Coconut
A Simple Delicious Dessert!
Besan burfi made with coconut is a traditional Indian festival sweet that melts in your mouth. This dessert is not only delicious but also nutritious due to the ingredients like besan (chickpea flour), coconut, and ghee.
Besan burfi made with coconut is almost similar in taste and flavor to another Indian traditional sweet named seven-cup burfi. But, the quantity of the ingredients differs among both sweets.
I like to make besan (chickpea flour) burfi by adding coconut because this recipe is hassle-free, includes not many ingredients, and the ingredients are normally available in the kitchen.
Being a simple yet extremely flavorful dessert, besan burfi made with coconut is very popular in South India. I made about 35 pieces of this burfi in 50 minutes. Let me now share the detailed recipe.
- 3 cups coconut gratings
- 3 cups+2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups or 1/4 liter thick milk (fat milk)
- 1 cup+1 teaspoon ghee, 1 teaspoon for greasing the plate
- 1 cup Besan (chickpea flour), sieved
- Grease a plate with ghee. This plate is for pouring hot burfi liquid. Keep it aside.
- Sieve the gram flour. Keep it aside.
- In a mixer jar, add coconut gratings. Pulse it once or twice to get coarse gratings. Keep it aside.
- Melt the ghee. Keep it ready.
- Now, start making the burfi. In a thick-bottomed pan, add coconut gratings, sugar, and milk. Heat the pan. Keep the flame high. Stir the mixture. Scrape the edges often with a spatula to ensure the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- When the sugar melts completely, reduce the heat to medium-high. While stirring the mixture continuously, add chickpea flour (besan). Blend it with the other contents in the pan. Add melted ghee little by little and go on stirring the mixture. When the mixture thickens, reduce the heat further.
- Stir and scrape the mixture continuously until it leaves edges, becomes porous, and is light. At this point, the moisture evaporates completely. Immediately, turn off the heat. Pour the mixture into the greased plate.
- Spread it with a spatula. Tap the plate to get an even surface. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. When the mixture is still hot, draw criss-cross lines on it with a knife. You can draw straight lines also. This process is to cut the dessert to your desired shape later. If possible, insert the knife deeper into the lines.
- Once it solidifies, cut it on the lines and separate the pieces. Arrange them on a plate. Your favorite besan burfi made with coconut is ready!
- Enjoy eating this delectable dessert!
- Store the remaining burfi in a clean airtight container. They remain fresh for a week at room temperature. For longer shelf life, store them in a refrigerator and use them for up to a month.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 22 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|