- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- 5oz/0.6cups/142gms shortcrust pastry
- 3 level tablespoons cornflour
- ¼ pint water
- 2 lemons, juice and grated rind
- 4oz/0.5cups/113gms sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3oz/.36cups/85gms caster sugar (very fine sugar)
- Glacé cherries and angelica, to decorate
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 7” flan case or deep pie plate.
- Trim the edges and bake blind in the oven at 220⁰C (425⁰F), gas mark 7 for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and baking beans and return the case to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180⁰C (350⁰F) gas mark 4.
- Mix the cornflour with the water in a saucepan, add the lemon juice and grated rind and bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the mixture thickens slightly, and add the egg yolks.
- Pour into the pastry case.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, whisk in half the castor sugar and fold in the rest.
- Pile the meringue on top of the lemon filling and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the meringue is crisp and lightly browned.
- Decorate before serving with cherries and angelica.
You can buy ready-made shortcrust pastry in the shops, or you can make your own.
How To Bake Blind
To Bake Blind
This means you cut a round of greased greaseproof paper slightly larger than the pastry case, place it greased side down inside the pastry case and half fill it with raw haricot beans, rice or stale crusts of bread.
Lemon meringue pie can be served hot or cold and is delicious served with custard.
If you have never tried lemon meringue pie before, you are in for a treat!
This will zing the taste buds, leaving you (or your guests) crying for more.
As a dessert, this recipe is hard to beat. It is perhaps not the easiest to make, as it requires several 'stages', but trust me, it is well worth the effort.
While you can buy a ready made lemon meringue pie in the 'frozen desserts' aisle in a supermarket, the home-made variety is superior in taste, color and texture, not to mention the absence of additives.