- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Delicious Prawn Cocktail Salad Recipe
While you may think of prawn cocktail as being a starter, a prawn cocktail salad becomes a main dish which is surprisingly filling.
You can make it into a low fat healthy option by using low fat seafood salad or Marie Rose sauce, or just serve the full-fat version as shown below.
This dish does not need extra garnishing, or additional ingredients, because the taste is wonderful when served as it is, and without further accompaniments.
Not only does it look and taste great, it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
- 1lb cooked king prawns
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 crispy lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- Wash lettuce and set aside to dry
- Slice tomatoes and arrange in a ring on the dish
- Sprinkle with salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, place the mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, cream and lemon juice
- Mix well with a spoon to make a smooth paste
- Add the prawns to the seafood sauce
- Place dried whole lettuce leaves on the dish on top of the tomatoes
- Garnish with sliced lemon
When you serve this dish, just put out plates and serving spoons to allow everyone to help themselves.
Lettuce has never tasted so good as when served with prawn cocktail and you can expect to see it all disappear off the serving dish. This is a great way to use up any extra lettuce you may have in the house.
- Take a whole leaf and place it on a plate.
- Spoon the prawn and Marie Rose sauce over the top, and add tomatoes around the sides.
It is best eaten with a knife and fork.
Serve a prawn cocktail instead
If you are serving food for six or more people, you may want to revert this dish into a prawn cocktail for starters.
In this case:
- Shred the lettuce and chop the tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Place two or three pieces of shredded lettuce and about 2 pieces of chopped tomato in a small sundae dish.
- Add a spoonful of the prawns in seafood sauce.
- Chill in refrigerator for an hour or so.
- Serve with a small slice of lemon for garnish.
- Serve with a teaspoon and cocktail fork.
There is no need to buy in an expensive seafood sauce when you can make your own with mayonnaise and tomato ketchup, which most folk have in their kitchen cupboards already.
The cream just adds an extra smoothness to the sauce, but can be omitted if you have none in and unexpected guests arrive.
While fresh prawns are best, many supermarket prawns are frozen for convenience. They only take about an hour to defrost at room temperature.
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||315|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 35 g||54%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 80 mg||27%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|