- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Delicious Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's pie is a recipe that began in England in the eighteenth century. It was called cottage pie during those days. It included meat, typically lamb or beef with vegetables, and a mashed potato topping. It is a savory, hearty, and delicious meal. It goes well with cornbread or biscuits on the side. The version I am providing includes lots of cheese, as my family loves cheese. My recipe is quick and simple to make and tastes amazing. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 16 oz cans mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 12 oz jar beef gravy
- 8 servings garlic mashed potatoes, (can use plain) prepared according to package
- 1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, course ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 - 3 cups cheese shreds, (any kind you like, and adjust amount to your personal preference)
- Cook the mashed potatoes according to package directions. Set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet. Drain excess grease, keeping a little bit (maybe 2 tbsp). Add the jar of gravy, worcestershire sauce, seasonings, and mixed vegetables. Stir together well.
- Pour the beef mixture into a casserole dish. Top the meat mixture with a layer of cheese shreds.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the cheese layer. Cover the mashed potatoes with another layer of cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly at 400 degrees. Enjoy!