- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
DIY Banana Ice Cream
My husband raises bananas, and they tend to ripen all at once. We hustle to give away the quickly ripening bananas before they go black. My daughter shared with us a one-ingredient ice cream that requires only bananas. At first I was skeptical, but after the first try, I was convinced that we had found a delicious remedy for our prolific banana plantation.
- 3 peeled medium bananas
- Cut peeled bananas into coin-sized slices and place in pie or round cake pan.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours
- Place in blender or food processor and whiz until they become the same consistency as soft-serve ice cream. May take up to 5 minutes.
- Scrape down as needed to incorporate all of the banana.
- Transfer to a container that can be frozen. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
One-ingredient banana ice cream is a satisfying no-guilt treat made without sweeteners, dairy or fat.
This recipe is great for fitness buffs, vegans, and health nuts. You may be wondering if you must add sugar or dairy. The sugar in the bananas is enough to sweeten it. If you have difficulty blending the bananas, you may add 2 tablespoons of milk or soymilk.
There are several other ingredients you can add if you desire:
- Nutella - 3 to 6 tablespoons (my favorite)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - 3 to 6 tablespoons
- Cream - 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- Peanut butter - 3 to 6 Tablespoons
- Honey - 2 to 4 teaspoons
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Strawberries - 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Strawberry or chocolate syrup - 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Agave nectar - 2 tablespoons
- Frozen berries - 1/3 to 1/2 cup
- Chocolate chips
Add your additional ingredients after you have processed the bananas, but before freezing. Get creative and experiment to find which ingredients you prefer.
We had some guests last night and served them our one-ingredient banana ice cream. They were so surprised when we told it them it was made from only bananas. We had them try it with peanut butter mixed in and one with strawberry syrup. Now they want to try it too. One of the guests remarked that it melts just like regular ice cream.
Try it - it just may also make a believer out of you!