Easy Cheese Enchilada Recipe
Authentic cheese enchiladas are quick and easy to make. Growing up in a hispanic household, these enchiladas were served on Sunday for lunch after mass. Mom provided the usual side dishes of Spanish rice and frijoles a la charra. Dad would often make a salsa or pico de gallo.
This cheese enchilada recipe is my mother's and is as simple as it is authentic. If you are in need of a meatless meal, a crowd pleaser for your next potluck, or just love Mexican food, give my Easy Cheese Enchilada Recipe a try. You can't fail!
- 8-12 corn tortillas, white or yellow
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, medium or sharp
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 small can enchilada sauce, Old El Paso is best
The Best Enchilada Sauce - You Will LOVE IT!
- Heat enchilada sauce in a small sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Heat oil over medium low heat in an 8 inch skillet.
- Add chili powder to oil and stir gently with a fork to mix.
- When oil is hot, immerse one corn tortilla into oil until it is fully covered. Allow to cook for 2-4 seconds only, until soft. Too long and your tortilla will be hard or crispy.
- Carefully remove the corn tortilla from oil with a fork. Drain briefly when removing from pan. Be careful not to tear the tortilla. Place the tortilla on a plate or oblong baking pan.
- Place 2 Tbsp of shredded cheese on one side of the tortilla.
- Add a few pieces of chopped onion (to your taste) on the cheese.
- Roll the tortilla over the cheese and onion until it is formed into a thin enchilada. **The tortilla will be hot to touch. Be careful when handling.**
- Repeat the process with all remaining tortillas.
- Place enchiladas on individual serving plates.
- Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
- Top with remaining cheese and a little onion.
- Microwave each plate for 45-60 seconds to ensure cheese is well melted inside.
- Serve immediately with rice, beans, salad, guacamole, chips and salsa!
How to Make Easy Cheese Enchiladas
What is your favorite kind of enchilada?
Other Great Toppers for Easy Cheese Enchiladas
Not a fan of enchilada sauce? No problem! Try some of these ideas to find what you enjoy!
- freshly chopped cilantro
- homemade pico de gallo
- guacamole and sour cream
- chopped tomatoes