Chicken Veggie Stir Fry
Stir-fry has always been an easy, fast, and family pleasing meal. The fact that all three of my sons and husband too are big vegetable fans, making any type of stir-fry is fun.
I am always trying to switch things up and create a different taste that suits all of our taste buds. Today when I looked to see what I had to go along with the chicken, the following dish is what I came up with.
I enjoy making stir-fry as I can get everything ready to go at my leisure, and when it's time to cook, the prep work is already done.
Hoisin Sauce is a Chinese dipping sauce.
To julienne carrots you first peel them, cut them in half, and then slice lengthwise to either a matchstick or desired thickness.
Pressed garlic cloves is peeling the cloves and squeezing them through a garlic press.
Ingredients for Chicken and Veggie Stir-Fry, Side of Stir-Fry Veggies, Side of Rice
- 5 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 TBS. of vegetable or canola oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and julienne
- 1 medium Vidalia onion (or onion of choice), sliced thick
- 2-4 medium-large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 TBS. of Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 TBS. of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of almonds, slivered
- 2 cups of brown Minute Rice
- 2 cups and additional 1/8 cup of water
- a pinch of salt
- 1 TBS. of butter
- 3-4 cups of frozen stir-fry vegetables
How to Make the Stir-Fry Sauce
While the chicken is cooking prepare the stir-fry sauce.
In a small bowl combine honey, hoisin sauce, and lemon juice. Press peeled garlic cloves into the mixture and stir well. Set aside.
Side of Stir-Fry Veggies
For the veggies I used Arctic Gardens Asian style Stir-Fry.
- Preheat a 12" skillet to medium-high.
- Pour frozen veggies into the skillet stirring regularly until cooked.
- Approx cooking time is 3-5 minutes.
- Start by preparing the chicken. I find chicken breasts are easier to slice when they are partially frozen. Julienne the carrots, slice the green pepper and onion.
- Heat 1-2 TBS. of oil in a wok or large frying pan. An electric frying pan can also be used.
- Once the oil is hot add the sliced chicken breasts. Flip the slices occasionally until cooked. Remove and set aside on a plate or in a bowl.
- Start the rice cooking. Bring 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt and 1 TBS.of butter or margarine to a boil. Add rice, bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir and remove from heat. Let rice sit covered in the pot until ready to serve. The rice must sit for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Once you've removed the chicken from the wok add the carrots and cook for five minutes. Add 1/8 cup of water to get them steaming. Add onions and continue cooking and stirring for 3 minutes. Add green pepper and cook for one minute. Add the cooked chicken back into the mix as well as the stir-fry sauce. Add the slivered almonds. (optional) Heat thoroughly making sure everything in the wok gets coated with the sauce.
- Ready to eat. Dish up, sit down and Enjoy!
Does this look good? Please rate this recipe.
Nutritional Amounts for Rice and Stir-Fry Veggies
Whole Grain Brown Minute Rice 1/2 Cup Serving
Arctic Gardens Asian Stir-Fry Veggies 1/2 Cup Serving
Approximate Values for Chicken
|Serving size: 1-5 ounce chicken breast|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 27 g||54%|
|Cholesterol 75 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|