- Food and Cooking
Easy Yellow Curry Recipe - A Step-By-Step Guide to Thai Chicken Curry
This recipe is for a Thai Yellow Curry, with a little personal tweaks from a friend of mine and myself. We've been making it for years and its always a big hit!
- Curry Paste (I only like Patak's. And I use their Hot one, because I like for my curry to give me sniffles and teary eyes.)
- One can of coconut milk (Shake it at the store, does it sound thick? You want a thick one.)
- Fish Sauce (In my experience, optional)
- Garlic, 2-3 cloves, crushed and minced
- Salt and pepper
- Bamboo Shoots (optional, but man are they good)
- Meat of your choice (optional, of course. I go with 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut in tiny bites. Fish is also very good in this dish.)
- Veggies of your choice (I do frozen green beans and peas)
- Rice to serve it over. Jasmine rice is amazing.
Easy Curry Recipe
Note: I cook in a cast iron pan, so if you're not the temperatures may need to be higher for you.
Start by warming a (well-shaken) can of coconut milk in a saucepan with salt, pepper, fish sauce (about a tbsp or two) and garlic. While its warming (over low heat), cut your chicken and add it. Raise the heat to medium.
Once its completely cooked, spoon the chicken into a separate bowl. Slotted spoons rock for this, but you can manage with a regular spoon. I do. Set aside the chicken for now.
Add curry paste, about 2-3 tbsp depending on your spice preference, to the pan with the coconut milk. Stir it in until its completely smooth. Now add veggies, using your judgment for the amount.
Let the veggies cook/warm up completely and soak up all the juices for a little bit. Then add the bamboo shoots, and your chicken back. Sprinkle it with cilantro and stir. Raise the heat back up for a minute so your sauce is bubbling slightly.
Spoon the rice into your bowl, creating a nice, sticky base for your curry to go on top of.
By this point, it smells so good, you'll have a hard time not salivating into the pan while you serve it over your rice.
Now all that's left to do is grab your favorite chopsticks and go to town!