Easy Food and Drink Ideas for St.Patrick's Day
Happy St.Patrick's Day!
March 17th is St.Patrick's Day, a day many of us associate with Saint Patrick, the color green, Irish, Ireland, green beer, shamrocks, luck and leprechauns. It is a fun holiday to celebrate and there are plenty of ways to join in the festivities. Whether you are celebrating the holiday in a big way or a small way, eating and drinking (alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks), should be involved as part of the celebration! These simple food and drink ideas are perfect for kids and adults alike.
Using Candy Melts for Easy Dessert Ideas
Wilton Candy Chocolate Melts come in handy to create several easy food recipes, specifically, desserts and sweet drinks.
In honor of St.Patrick's Day, you can use green candy melts to:
- Mold Shamrock style lollipops for the kids
- Melt to incorporate into drinks, such as milk shakes and hot cocoa
- Place molded shamrock candy mold as decorations and toppers on top of cakes and cupcakes
They add that extra St.Patrick-feel to any dessert or drink you serve for the holiday, as shown in the photos below.
Green Candy Melts: Easy Ingredient to Make a Variety of St.Patrick's Day Treats
Green Candy Melts
"Shamrock Chocolate Pops" or "Shamrock on a Stick"
Shamrock Bite Size Candy Mold
Instructions on Using Candy Molds for Shamrock Pops
These candy mold trays are so simple to use and there are a variety available for different occasions and holidays. You can find them at most craft stores like Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores or Michael's, along with the candy chocolate melts and lollipop sticks.
- Place the amount of candy melts you want to make in the piping bag.
- Place bag in microwave and heat for 30-second increments. Knead bag, then heat again until all the candy melts are melted.
- If using a sandwich bag, cut a small hole, about half an inch, at the bottom of one end of the bag.
- Squeeze out melted chocolate into the molding tray.
- Tap tray onto table or counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each mold, optional.
- Place tray in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until candy is hardened.
Wilton Shamrock Candy Mold
"St.Patrick's Day Shamrock Milk Shakes"
"Hot Shamrock Cocoa"
- 1/4-1/2 cup Candy Melts
- 1 and a 1/3 cup Milk
- 1-2 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream, for milk shake
- 1 tablespoon Irish Creamer, optional
- Whip Cream, optional
- Green Sugar Sprinkles, optional
Instructions for Shamrock Milk Shake and/or Shamrock Hot Cocoa Using Green Candy Melts
- Place candy melts into a small pot with milk.
- Heat on medium to low heat and stir until candy melts are completely dissolved and combined with milk.
- For Shamrock Milk Shake, place in blender with several ice cubes, vanilla ice cream and Irish Creamer, if desired.
- Top with whip cream and green sugar sprinkles.
- For Shamrock Hot Cocoa, pour into mug.
- Add in Irish Creamer, whip cream and some green sugar sprinkles, if desired.
Green Cocoa for St.Patrick's Day
St.Patrick's Day Shamrock Shakes and Hot Cocoa
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes topped with Shamrocks
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes for St.Patrick's Day
Recipe for Mint Chocolate Cupcakes: A Sweet Treat for St.Patrick's Day
Green Eggs and Ham for Breakfast on St.Patrick's Day
More Ideas for Easy-To-Make Food for St.Patrick's Day
Treats Using Candy Melts
Food to Use to Add in Green to Recipes
More Dessert Ideas
Marshmallow Pops dipped in green candy melts
Green cookies using green food coloring and mint chips
Pretzels and pretzel sticks covered in green candy melts
Rainbow cakes or cupcakes
Chocolate-covered popcorn using green candy melts
Mint chocolate chip ice cream
Green Jello and Jello Shots
Green: The Color to Remember for St.Patrick's Day
It is a common occurrence to get pinched if one does not wear something "green" on St.Patrick's Day, at least that was the rule while I went to grade school.
Why is green the color to wear for this holiday?
According to ColorCombos.com, "In the 1700s, green replaced blue and became the official color for Ireland. It is one of the three colors of the modern Irish flag. Green seems like a more logical choice when you consider that Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle because of its beautiful green countryside. The expression “the wearing of the Green” refers to both the shamrock that St. Patrick used to teach the Trinity and the bright green uniforms worn by soldiers during the Irish Rebellion of 1798."
Why get pinched for not wearing green on St.Patrick's Day?
"The mischievous mythical leprechauns form another piece of the pinching tradition. According to the legends, leprechauns delighted in causing mischief, which included tripping, kicking or otherwise harming humans. Wearing green supposedly rendered the wearer invisible to leprechauns, and thus spared the wearer their attentions" (ehow.com).
Pistachio Pudding, Another Green Treat for St.Patrick's Day
Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Embrace the Color Green
St.Patrick's Day is a fun day to celebrate, whether or not you are Irish. Some of the traditions may not all relate directly to Saint Patrick himself but have become part of the holiday customs.
No matter what holiday or special occasion is going on, food and drinks are always the perfect way to celebrate. Therefore, eat, drink, be merry and embrace the color green this St.Patrick's Day!
Green Color Mist for Cakes and Cupcakes
You Might Also Like Some Of My Other Recipes:
- How to Make White Chocolate and Butterscotch Blondies and Cookies
Blondies are a delicious, versatile treat that anyone can make to suit his or her personal taste preference. They can even be baked into cookies using the same recipe!
- Coffee Cake with White Chocolate Mocha Icing
Coffee is a popular beverage, commonly used as a stimulant. It helps us stay more alert and awake. In this recipe, coffee is mixed into vanilla cake and topped off with white chocolate mocha icing.
- B is for...: Bring on the Rainbow for St. Patrick's Day: Rainbow Milkshakes and Rainbow Jello