- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Fried Green Tomatoes
The South is known for it's comfort foods. Known for making everything into something special. It is well known that the introduction of slaves to the plantations of the South regions of the New World impacted everything, especially food.
There is a link that the Portuguese introduced the tomato vine to the African continent. So the Spanish are attributed for introducing the fruit / vegetable to the New World, due to it's vast colonization policy. The tomato is a perennial in it's native habitat, belonging to the nightshade family. The vine usually grows low, spreading over the ground and other plants taking up large areas if it grows wild.
Fried green tomatoes is one of those vegetable dishes that has gone through a variety of evolutions. The recipe is versatile, lending it self to any number of tweaks, so it can be as healthy as you can imagine.
Sliced tomatoes are a great side dish but fried green tomatoes can be more than a side dish, it can hold it's own as a main dish, giving vegetable lovers added choices.
Tomatoes are called vegetables but are actually scientifically recorded as a fruit. While the name is given to both the vine and the fruit, tomatoes can be consumed both raw and cooked. In many cases it has been proven that it is healthier for the body if the tomato is cooked because of the medicinal properties of Lycopene.
Lycopene is at it's highest when the tomato is red, ripe and has been cooked to release it so that it can be easily digested by the human body.
Tomatoes come in many species and sizes from as small as grapes to as large as apples and any size in between. They are also grown all over the world. Enjoy!
What you will need:
4 or 5 med green tomatoes (firm red ones can be substituted)
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of bread crumbs (Panko) or cornmeal
salt and pepper
bacon grease or vegetable oil
non stick frying pan
platter or glass baking dish
What to do:
1. Wash, dry and slice tomatoes - 1/3 to 1/4 (1/2 inch is for a main dish) inch thick slices are good.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste on the tomato slices
3. Dredge the tomatoes through the flour plate, first
4. Dip the tomato slices in the egg wash, in a bowl break two whole eggs and beat until well mixed
5. Pat tomato in the bread crumbs or corn meal plate until well coated
6. Put the well coated tomato slice in the heated oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes and flipping to the other side until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and add to the paper lined platter or glass baking dish
7. To keep the slices warm until the whole batch is fried up put in the oven at 200 degrees
Add cayenne pepper
Add these spices to your flour for dredging, start with a teaspoon
How to eat fried green tomatoes:
- As is with salt and pepper, or a little ketchup or a little spiced mustard
- With a special sauce made with ketchup, mustard and mayo mixed together
- In sandwich form, with two slices of thick bread (toasted), lettuce, pickle, onion, bacon (optional) and a slice of mozzarella cheese, mayo, mustard, ketchup and hot sauce
- As a main dish with a Ceasar salad and blue cheese dressing
- As a side dish with fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, potato salad, fried okra etc
- Add a sweet tea, lemonade or a coke and you have a complete classic southern meal
Substitutions for eggs:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour for dredging
If you are not eating fried foods green tomatoes are excellent grilled.
view quiz statistics