Easy Hash Brown Potatoes Recipe
Serve these easy to make hash browns with your favorite omelet and toast for a quick restaurant style breakfast at home.
- 6 medium potatoes, (2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- a measuring spoon
- a sharp knife
- a vegetable peeler
- a box grater
- a strainer
- paper towels
- a 12" skillet
- a pancake turner
- Use a sharp knife to finely chop the onion.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin from your potatoes. Coarsely shred the peeled potatoes into a strainer using the second largest holes of your box grater.
- Rinse the shredded potatoes under cool water until the run-off is clear. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine the chopped onion, shredded potatoes, salt and black pepper.
- Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat in a 12" skillet.
- Pat the potato mixture into the hot skillet with a pancake turner.
- Cook until the bottom begins to crisp.
- Using your pancake turner, flip the hash browns over in large sections. Cook for an additional 10 minutes (or until your hash brown potatoes are golden in color).
- For cheesy hash-browns: Top your hash browns with your favorite finely shredded cheese after step 7. Cover and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Complete your meal with a couple of the breakfast recipes below.