- Food and Cooking
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
In a hurry or not in the mood to cook? Tacos tend to be one of the "go to" recipes. They're cheap and easy to make. Grocery stores even provide us with a little packet of taco seasoning to make our lives easier. It's easy to load up a drawer full of these for rainy days. Surprisingly enough, it's just as easy to make your own homemade taco seasoning. Plus it's a lot cheaper in the long run and you're less likely to be stuffing yourself full of preservatives and whatever other garbage they might throw into those "off the shelf" taco seasonings.
This recipe mimics the flavors you might get out of packaged taco seasoning, with a little added pizzaz.
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, (Can be substituted for 1/8tsp Cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregeno
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Cilantro, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- Thoroughly cook meat of choice.
- For every 1 lb. of taco meat, add 3/4 cups of water and 1-1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of Easy Homemade Taco Mix. Bring water to a rolling boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water has been absorbed.
- Store taco mix in an airtight container.
I suggest making an extra large batch of homemade taco seasoning, then taking some empty spice bottles and storing it there for later use. Airtight glass bottles are recommended for freshness.
Some may prefer to use fresh cilantro to their tacos. I've personally found that by adding dried cilantro to the homemade taco mix, a lot of time gets saved from the actual cook, plus one less thing to get at the grocery store. (And everybody knows how fast cilantro goes bad if you don't use it all)
One great method is to find a grocery store that sells bulk spices. Measure out exactly what you need beforehand and get the exact quantities you need for the homemade taco seasoning. When you get home you can dump them all in a bowl, mix them together, and you're done!
|Serving size: 2 Tacos|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 0 g|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Nutrition Facts
Other Nutritional Information
% Daily Value †