- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
The Best Easy Hungarian Cube Steaks | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Hungarian Cubed Steaks were a favorite at my house when I was growing up. This had the added benefit of taking less than 40 mins from start to finish, so it comes in handy in a working family. My good friend Doris, (who served us a great homemade Thanksgiving meal this year) a legendary cook, who earmarked this as a recipe from ‘The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book’ that she definitely wanted to have, so this one is for you Doris,,,, Do Enjoy!
1 lb Beef Cubed Steaks
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil (Olive Oil is Best)
2 Medium Onions, chopped
1 Lg Clove Garlic, crushed
2 tbsp Paprika
1 can (16 oz) juice packed Tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 ¼ tsp salt
1 tsp granulated Sugar
¼ tsp Caraway Seeds
2 cup Wide Egg Noodles
¼ cup Sour Cream
1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Cut the Cubed Steaks into ½ inch wide strips.
- in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tbsp of the oil. Ass the Cubed Steak Strips; cook 1-2 minutes on each side until well browned. Remove the meat to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tbsp of Oil to the skillet. Add Onions and Garlic; cook stirring until the onions are tender. Stir in the Paprika and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add undrained Tomatoes, Water, Salt, Sugar, Caraway Seeds, and Meat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Noodles and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered 6 to 8 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Uncover and remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Slowly stir in the Sour Cream and heat through, DO NOT BOIL). Garnish with Chopped Parsley and serve.
Yield 4 to 6 servings.
More from The Cupboard Drawer
- The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book, was first published in September 1988 by my Father Mel Ellis, from recipes that literally were in the cupboard drawer that had been collected over the years by my Mom,...