- Food and Cooking
Easy Layered Beef Enchilada Recipe
Steak Enchilada Casserole
Casserole enchilada recipes are by and large much easier than traditional enchilada recipes.
That being said, you don't have to sacrifice flavor and taste just because you use a quick and easy recipe. This is especially true if you use wholesome ingredients.
This recipe originally called for ground sirloin. However, this author did not have any on hand but did have some strips of grilled steak in the freezer. Substitution is a great way to make recipes your own and discover what works best when you don't have a certain ingredient. Cooking is like science--experiment and see what you come up with!
Ground turkey or chicken can also be used for this recipe wherease chunks or strips or chunks of poultry would also work. Substitute chicken broth for the beef.
You could also use vegetable broth for any of the broth if wanting to revamp this recipe to a vegetarian version. Any type of beans such as white kidney, pinto, black beans, red beans or regular kidney beans could be substituted for the meat portion. Use low-sodium and always rinse beans and drain thoroughly before adding.
Lean shredded pork is also a great substitute for beef. You could use any kind of broth to accent the pork.
For extra protein, you can add black beans or another kind of beans to any meat or poultry version of the filling. This is just one more version of this quick and easy recipe for enchiladas.
For added nutrition, use whole wheat tortillas (see recipe below for homemade) or other healthy low-fat, low-calorie, high fiber 8-inch tortillas or wraps.
Ingredients for Steak Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups lean cooked steak
- 1 cup chopped sweet onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 cup fat free, low sodium beef broth
- 1 14-ounce can no added salt tomato sauce
- 4 8-inch uncooked tortillas
- 1/2-1 cup shredded lower fat cheeses, (I used white cheddar, cheddar and pepperjack combined)
ADD-ONS AND TOPPINGS FOR ENCHILADAS
- Green chilies
- Salsa verde
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Chopped black olives
- Guacamole--mock guac or regular
Steak Layered Enchiladas
|Serving size: 1 slice or 1/4 of casserole|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 5 g|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 30 g||60%|
|Cholesterol 76 mg||25%|
|Sodium 650 mg||27%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instructions for Making Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9 or 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray or olive oil spray. Set aside. Grate cheese into bowl and set aside.
- Chop steak into bite-size pieces. Spray nonstick large skillet with cooking spray or olive oil spray. Add onions and garlic. Saute until just opaque. Add in steak pieces. Mix to warm. Reduce heat to low.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium to medium low heat. Sprinkle with the unbleached flour to make a roux, stirring constantly. (You are making a gravy here) Remove from heat. Gradually add broth a little at a time and continuing stirring. Return to medium heat. Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 2 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of enchilada sauce/brown sauce mixture to the onions, garlic and beef pieces. Mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 tortilla to bottom of pie plate. Sprinkle 1 cup of the beef mixture on top of the tortilla. Sprinkle with about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of cheese. Repeat the layer 2 more times. End with tortilla on top.
- Ladle enchilada sauce mixture over the top of the last tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook in 400 degree oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes, checking in the last 5 minutes to make sure cheese has melted.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges. Serve with sour cream, more enchilada sauce, guacamole. Top with green onions and olives if desired.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO MAKE LAYERED BEEF ENCHILADAS
Dice onions and garlic.
Cut steak into small bite-size pieces or cut into thin slivers.
If substituting ground meats, cook separately and drain off all fat.
If using cooked turkey, chicken or pork, cut into bite-size pieces or thin strips.
If using a vegetarian option such as beans, rinse thoroughly and drain of excess water.
Saute diced sweet onions and minced garlic until just starting to soften (called turning opaque).
Add chopped beef to sweet onion and garlic mixture in skillet. Heat through. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
Melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when bubbly.
This is called making the roux--or a gravy--by combining butter and flour.
Slowly add beef broth, stirring constantly to keep from lumping. Return to low heat, stirring occasionally.
Add taco seasoning mix.
Add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. This is your enchilada homemade sauce.
Add 1-1/2 cups of enchilada sauce to meat mixture in the skillet. Combine thoroughly. Separate out mixture into 3 approximately equal portions in pan.
Spray pie plate with cooking spray. Place one 8-inch uncooked tortilla in bottom of pie plate.
Spoon one-third of the meat and sauce mixture on top of the tortilla in pie plate. Repeat x2 more layers.
Place last (4th) tortilla on top of last layer.
Ladle on enchilada sauce to cover top tortilla.
Sprinkle cheese blend on top of enchilada sauce.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Let sit 5-10 minutes and cut into 4 wedges and serve.
Homemade Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
Makes 18 tortillas.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 4 cups whole wheat bread flour or pastry flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- Additional flour for rolling
- In large bowl, combine flours and salt. Rub shortening in by hand until mixture is texture of oatmeal (or use pastry blender).
- Make a well in center and pour in boiling water. Mix with a fork until all water is mixed with the flour mixture. Sprinkle with a little extra flour.
- Knead until dough no longer sticks to your hands. Dough will be smooth. Make 18 balls roughly golf ball size--or about 2 ounces each. Place balls on a tray and cover with dishcloth. Let stand for 1 hour or up to 8 hours from preparing.
- Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over high heat. On lightly floured surface, roll out each tortilla. Make them as thin or thick as you would like. "Fry" one at a time--no grease or oil is required. Place on for 10 seconds and if you see a bubble on the top, flip to the other side. Let it cook there for 30 seconds, then flip over again and cook that side for 30 seconds.
- Roll each tortilla as you wait for the other one to cook. Repeat until all balls have been cooked.
Refrigerate unused tortillas or freeze in zip-lock bags.
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
This recipe can be put together in any amount in minutes.
Store in an airtight container, put in decorative bottles and share with friends and family, or keep in freezer.
Note: Part means equal amounts--so if you make a batch with 1 part of chili powder, that can be 1 cup or 1/2 cup. Then add the other ingredients in proportion to whatever "part" you have decided on--so if making a huge batch 1 cup of chili powder, through onion powder and 1/4 to 1/2 cup crushed red pepper flakes. But if making smaller batch (half the big batch) then use 1/2 cup of all through ingredients through onion powder and 1/8 to 1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes. Part means proportionate measure in this case.
- 1 part chili powder
- 1 part ground cumin
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part onion powder or dried minced onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 part crushed red pepper flakes
YOU CAN ALSO ADD:
- 1/4 to 1/2 part dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 part paprika
- salt or pepper to taste
- 1/4 part cornstarch, optional (gives it a slight thickening ability)
- Mix together all ingredients by whisking or shaking in large container.
- Use 1-3 tablespoons of the mixture for recipes calling for a packet of Taco Seasoning Mix.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can control everything--the amount of spice, the amount of salt and pepper, and not use any chemical ingredients like MSG, BHT and partially hydrogenated fats.