Easy Masala Aval Or Masala Poha Recipe
Masala Aval Or Masala Poha
Aval or Poha is very common breakfast across the nation which is done in different styles and with different names. Some of the popular dishes with aval or flattened rice includes kanda poha, pea poha, poha upma etc.
Masala Poha is one of the popular South Indian breakfast and snack recipe where flattened rice is tempered and coated with Indian spices. Many variations can be done in this dish and all tastes great. Filling, healthy, simple and very easy to make. Light on stomach. Tastes very nice and flavorful with perfectly coated Indian spices. Perfect for busy morning. You can serve it as evening snack too.
Roasted peanuts give a unique crunchiness for this dish. You can serve this masala aval without any side dish. Serve hot and enjoy.
- 1 cup aval or flattened rice or poha, i used thick variety brown aval
- 1 1/2 cups water, to soak flattened rice
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, soaked and squeezed to form tamarind juice
- 2 teaspoons jaggery, or to taste
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 springs fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder, or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1-2 teaspoons peanuts
- Wash and soak flattened rice in water for 10 minutes. Keep aside (soaking time depends on the type of aval you are using. Soak accordingly).
- After 10 minutes, drain water completely from aval using strainer. Keep aside.
- Soak 1 teaspoon of tamarind brick or pulp in water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze and extract tamarind juice. Keep aside (or use store brought tamarind paste).
- Finely chop 1-2 onions and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil or ghee, splutter mustard seeds. Add fresh curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onions, fry till translucent (add a pinch of salt for fast cooking of onions).
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of red chili powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder and 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder. Fry and give a mix.
- Add salt to taste and 1-2 teaspoons of jaggery. Mix.
- Add prepared tamarind juice, mix and cook till raw smell of tamarind goes away.
- Add soaked flattened rice and mix everything gently without breaking aval until aval combined well with spices.
- Cook in low flame for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the flame.
- In a frying pan take 1-2 teaspoons of oil or ghee. Add 1-2 teaspoons of peanuts and fry in medium low flame till golden.
- Add fried peanuts to the prepared masala aval. Mix gently.
- Serve hot as morning breakfast or evening snacks.
Step by step pictures
- Along with onion, you can add more vegetables like carrots, beans, potatoes to make it more healthy.
- You can use thick, medium, thin, brown or white aval for this recipe.
- If you are using thin variety of flattened rice, don't soak in water. Just wash it once, keep for 10 minutes to drain and use. Medium aval requires about 5 minutes of soaking. Soak, check for the softness and then use to make the dish. It should easily break between your fingers, but should not turn mushy.