- Food and Cooking
Easy Side Dish Recipes; Fried Mushrooms, Cajun Shrimp, Roasted Ranch Potatoes
There are many different sides that you can serve alongside a juicy steak. I'd like to share with you a few of my favorites. All three of these side dishes are easy to make and fairly fast to prepare.
- Fried Mushrooms and Onions sauteed with garlic in butter.
- Cajun Fried Shrimp.
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
Fried Mushrooms and Onions & Cajun Fried Shrimp
Quite often I will make both of these side dishes at the same time especially if the entire family is going to be eating.
Cook Time For Fried Mushrooms and Onions
Fried Mushrooms and Onions
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 large onion sliced thick, I used a sweet onion but any type of onion can be used
- 12 - 14 mushrooms sliced, I used white, and once again use whichever type you like
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
Cajun Fried Shrimp
- 1 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of raw shrimp
- Cajun Spice
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed
Instructions for Fried Mushrooms and Onions
- Peel and slice the onion into thick slices.
- Wash, pat dry, and slice mushrooms.
- Peel 3 cloves of garlic.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter and place onions in the pan to fry for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and gently toss with the onions. Continue frying for 3 minutes.
- Cut the garlic cloves in half and put into a garlic press. Press the garlic over the pan of mushrooms and onions. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked to your liking.
Instructions for Cajun Fried Shrimp
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water.
- In a frying pan heat oil and add in the shrimp.
- Coat well with Cajun spice and stir.
- Cut garlic clove in half and put into a garlic press. Press the garlic onto the shrimp in the pan.
- Fry and stir shrimp until they are pink.
Do you eat the shells on shrimp?
I had an aunt that was from the Philippines, and whenever she'd fry shrimp she would eat the shells. Depending on how they're cooked I've gotten used to eating the shells as well. Just recently I found a very interesting article on the health benefits of consuming shrimp shells. There have been studies done and there is a chemical called chitosan in the shells. This chemical could help in fighting obesity and high cholesterol. If you'd like to read more about this the article can be found at Medical News Today.
Ingredients for Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- 5 - 6 medium to large potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil, vegetable oil can be substituted
- Powdered ranch dressing mix
Instructions for Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place washed and cut potatoes into a bowl, toss and coat with oil.
- Spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray and add the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 - 1/2 package of Ranch dressing
- Place in oven for 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and a bit crispy on the outside.