- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy-To-Make Healthy Food Recipes Part I - Radish Fry
Knowing the health content in radish, I have always wondered how to make a quick and simple yet tasty dish with this vegetable.
I have never cooked this vegetable because I used to love it when it is mixed with whole wheat flour to prepare chapati the Indian bread. I grate radish and mix it with wheat flour and a little salt to make a smooth dough. Then roll it out just as you would for preparing tortillas and cook it on a girdle. This way you get the complete nutrition from the radish and even people who don't like its slightly pungent taste will never know that you have added radish to the chapati dough.
Recently I thought I would try frying the grated radish in a little oil and the outcome is the following recipe.
- 2 nos. Radish
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard
- 2 Green chillies or 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. Asafoetida powder
- a few sprigs Curry leaves finely chopped (optional)
- a few Cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Oil
- Peel and grate the radish.
- Squeeze the grated radish lightly not removing the water content completely. If you don't remove a little of the water from the vegetable, the dish will become soggy.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a pan and add mustard. When it splutters, add turmeric powder,asafoetida powder, green chilli pieces and curry leaves and saute. If you don't like to add green chillies you can add chilli powder too. You can omit curry leaves if you don't like the taste. In this recipe, I have added chilli powder, hence the orange color.
- Add salt. Shallow fry the grated radish till it is cooked - about 2 minutes- and remove to a bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Radish fry is ready to eat.
- This dish requires very little oil and has a lot of health benefits.
- Very few calories
- Rich in fiber and vitamins
- You get 14% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C from half a cup of radish. The other vitamins present are Vitamin K, B6, folate, pantothenic acid and niacin.
- Potassium, calcium, iron, manganese, zinc and magnesium are the other minerals present though in little quantities.
- The high water content and the carbohydrate content in radish helps in weight loss. You feel full by eating radish and this satisfies your hunger faster helping in weight loss.
- The high Vitamin C content in radish eliminates toxins from the body thus helping in prevention of kidney and stomach cancer, common cold as well as diabetes and heart disease.
- An effective natural decongestant that fights against the common cold and other allergies in the respiratory system.
- Radish also helps cure urinary infection, jaundice and insect bites.
So, one cup of radish at least once or twice a week is a very healthy way to keep your body free from many diseases as well as to lose weight.