How to Make Bhindi Chips (Spicy Fried Okra) Recipe
An Awesome Snack to Munch Anyrtime Anywhere
Kur Kure Okra (Kur Kure bhindi) is a crunchy, spicy, and delicious finger food. It makes a mouthwatering appetizer for small parties.
Okra, popularly known as lady's finger (Bhindi in the Hindi language) is a vegetable with rich nutrients. It has potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium. It is low in calories and has high dietary fiber content.
Okra is considered to help manage blood sugar levels in cases of type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes. It is one of the nutritious vegetables that helps in controlling cholesterol and weight reduction. It helps in detoxification. It improves eyesight, maintains heart health, and eases bowel movement.
It is proved that the consumption of okra helps in checking the growth of breast cancer cells growth. Lectin is the special protein found in okra that is responsible for preventing breast cancer cell growth. The folate content in okra helps in lowering the risk of developing cancer.
Okra has vitamin K that is good for bones. It helps in absorbing calcium, lowering the risk of osteoporosis.
I am showing here an easy and simple recipe to make Kur Kure okra (crispy bhindi chips) or Spicy Fried Okra, a popular tea-time snack. This snack has all the health benefits of okra. It has a rich natural aroma and flavor.
- 15 okra, slit lengthwise as per instruction
- 3 tablespoons gram flour / chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, as per taste
- oil for deep frying
- Wash okra (bhindi), pat dry them with a cotton cloth. Slit them longitudinally. Remove the seeds. Slit them further lengthwise to make thin pieces. Refer to the image.
- Add them to a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients in the list up to oil for the deep frying. Mix well. The salt in the mixture helps in giving out the moisture. No need to add water. See that okra pieces are uniformly coated with spices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Drop okra pieces while holding a bunch of it in hand, slowly releasing little by little into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd them. Let the fire be high in the beginning. Reduce the flame after 2 minutes. Make sure that okra cooks inside and becomes crispy.
- Frying one batch takes not more than 4 minutes. Turn them occasionally for uniform cooking.
- Remove and strain them. Place them on an absorbent paper towel. The paper absorbs excess oil. Okra becomes super crispy once it cools down. You can listen to the sound of 'Kur Kur' while eating! Hence the name Kur Kure Okra!
- Munch crispy Kur Kure Okra (crispy bhindi chips) or spicy fried okra whenever you feel like eating. They disappear in no time! This snack remains crispy for three days if you store it in an airtight container.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 12 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|