Easy and Delicious Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
Apples are delicious fall fruits that are full of nutrients and fiber. Old wives tales dictates that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples are abundant during the autumn and come in a wide range of varieties that range from tart to sweet and they come with skins in shades of green, yellow, and red. Apples can be used in so many recipes including cakes, pies, tarts, salads, and entree dishes. They are great eaten right off the tree too. This recipe is for a delicious apple pie that is easy to make. It is baked in a frozen pre-made pie crust and topped with crumb topping. My apple pie is best served warm topped with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
- 1 deep dish frozen pie crust
- 4 cups tart apples (granny smith)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup & 1 tbsp flour, (1 tbsp goes in apples/ cup goes in topping)
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 stick margarine or butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Mix apples, white sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1 tbsp. flour together in a large bowl. This is your filling for your pie.
- In a smaller bowl mix together butter (melted), brown sugar, 1 cup flour, and pecans (if desired). Use this as your topping.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Top with the crumb topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Can cover the edges with aluminum foil to keep them from burning if you desire.