- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Eating Seasonally: 10 Fruits that are in Season in the Summer
One of the healthiest things that you can do for your body is to eat foods that are in season. This allows you to eat a varied diet throughout the year. Typically, it means that you will get foods that are at their peak of freshness so you'll make the most of their nutritional value. Ideally, you will choose foods that are in season locally but even eating imported foods in season is better than eating out-of-season imports.
During the summer months, one of the things that people like to eat is fruit. Fruit is light and cool which is nice during the warmer months. Fruit is often considered a healthy food for weight loss and a lot of people like to stay trim during the swimsuit season. But which fruits are really the best fruits to eat in the summer?
Here's a look at ten fruits that are in season during the summer months along with the most common health benefits of those summer fruits:
- Apricots. They look good. They taste good. And they're best during the summer. Health benefits of the apricot include vision health from vitamin A, heart disease prevention from beta-carotene and digestive improvement from fiber.
- Berries. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries all come into their peak season during the summer months. So do the less common but oh-so-tasty gooseberries and loganberries. Eat them by themselves. Eat them as a topping on cereals, salads and yogurt. Puree them and include them in homemade ice cream. Different berries offer different health benefits but mostly they are antioxidant rich, cancer-preventing and low in calories.
- Cherries. Who can resist this wonderful summer snack food? Try freezing them and eating them frozen off of the stems instead of eating popsicles or ice cream this summer. Cherries may have health benefits that prevent cancer, diabetes and arthritis pain. Cherries contain melatonin which helps regulate sleep, delay aging and prevent memory loss.
- Currants. Not too many people are familiar with currants as compared to a lot of the other foods on this list but they're a great summer fruit. Black currants, red currants and white currants all come into season during the summer. This type of fruit mixes well with other in-season fruits. It tends to be strong so it's often used with sugar in summer treats like fruit pies. Currants, particularly black currants, are rich in Vitamin C and anti-oxidants so they're good for the cells, the immune system and general overall health.
- Figs. Like with currants, not enough people take advantage of the wonderful rich taste and great nutritional value of the fresh fig. Those who do, however, probably already know that summer is the best time to get this wonderful fruit. Health benefits of figs include the digestive properties of the fiber it contains and the fact that it is rich in potassium which helps to lower the cholesterol.
- Grapes. These are an ideal snack food that's light for the summer months. This is another fruit, like cherries, that you can freeze to make a good treat. Seedless grapes are terrific to freeze and then add to water or juice instead of putting ice in your drinks. Grapes have a number of health benefits but are most commonly used to treat indigestion and constipation.
- Mangoes. These are an imported food for almost everyone so you might not even know when the best time of year to get them is. Well, it's the summertime! That's when the mango is at its peak and will taste the best. Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, C, E and K so they have a whole host of health benefits and are good for the eyes, cells and skin.
- Melons. Perhaps the most loved summer fruit is watermelon. Who hasn't spent a summer day with watermelon juice trickling down the chin, spitting watermelon seeds into the grass? Other melons come into season in the summer as well, though, including cantaloupe and honeydew. Melons are rich in potassium so they're a heart-healthy food that can also help with problems like stress and kidney disease. Melons are also rich in vitamin C which is also good for the heart.
- Peaches and nectarines. This is a favorite summer fruit that comes into season during different times of the summer depending on where you are located. They are greaten eaten alone, as a topping or as an ingredient in a variety of different dishes. Peaches are rich in lutein so they're good for the eyes. They're also good for the heart.
- Plums. There are several different varieties of plums and they're all good during the summer months. Plums are rich in antioxidants, iron and Vitamin C.
- Summer Fruit: One of the great delights of summer is the abundance of fruit.
Summer means a variety of fruit. Here is a rough guide as to when these fruits are available in North America.
- Summer Fruit and Vegetables
Enjoy the delights of summer fruit and vegetables with this guide to the best produce during the summer season.