- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Egg Drop Soup Easy to Make
Egg Drop Soup
Hot Satisfying Egg Drop Soup
It is cold outside and a hot nourishing soup made from chicken broth is just what the body craves. Who knew it would be this easy to make your very own egg drop soup? Well, it is easy to make.
You may use store bought broth or easily and inexpensively make your own!
Previously, I wrote about how you can take the store rotisserie chicken left over bones and make an easy rich healthy chicken broth. Now, here is just one way to use that lovely chicken broth. Here are the instructions on how to make the broth.
Make your own!
- Chicken Broth Soup
Chicken broth soup. Use that store bought rotisserie chicken to make this wonderful broth. It may be eaten as a soup or used as a base for soups, stews, gravies, rice, noodles, and pasta. This makes an especially wonderful egg drop soup.
Homemade or Store Bought Broth Your Choice
Use the store bought box or can variety of chicken broth. The one thing that I would not recommend is the granules or cubes of broth. Those are not savory enough to stand on their own in this recipe. I do use the granules or cubes of broth as an addition to many recipes, though. They just are not flavorful enough to carry egg drop soup.
As you can see this soup is quick and easy. Here is how to make it:
- 1/2 quart homemade chicken broth
- 1/2 quart filtered water, DO NOT add water to commercial made broth use full strength 1 quart
- 2 egg whites, separate from yolks
- 6 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 C. filtered water
- dash salt and pepper
- dashes to taste soy sauce, served with not IN soup
Mmmmm Smells Good!
Easy to Make Egg Drop Soup
- Combine the broth and the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together. Whisk into the hot soup a bit at a time. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil and whisk for about 2 minutes while the cornstarch cooks into the soup.
- Toss in the chopped green onions and whisk. Reduce heat to just warming.
- Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until slightly frothy
- Remove the pot from heat and drizzle in a bit at a time the egg whites.
- Serve at table with salt and pepper and soy sauce
Gourmet House of Hong Kong Egg Drop Soup
Chinese in Origin
China is a huge country and has regional cooking just like the USA does. Egg drop soup is mostly a northern China hot soup. However, it is just as popular all over China as it is in the rest of the world.
The Chinese version of the Egg Drop soup comes in many types. Different regions add ingredients that they have on-hand. Often other ingredients may include tofu and tomato. I have made this with already cooked mushrooms as well. For an extra kick use white pepper as it is stronger.
This soup was very popular during the Great Depression of the 1930’s in the USA. I would suspect this is so because it is another way of using food efficiently and getting all the good nutrition out of the chicken. It is also very inexpensive to make.
However, the soup above is mostly what we find here in the USA. It is a traditional USA Chinese restaurant egg drop soup. Here is the soup from our favorite Chinese Restaurant here in Phoenix Arizona, Gourmet House of Hong Kong.
Check this out!
- Chinese Food Gourmet House of Hong Kong Review REAL ...
The Gourmet House of Hong Kong in Phoenix Arizona receives highest rating for taste and quality at a surprisingly low price point. The whole family will enjoy this authentic Hong Kong Style Chinese Restaurant.
We all know that Grandma’s traditional chicken noodle soup is very good for you when you have a nasty cold. Egg drop soup is known to be very good for you when you have a cold or other inflammatory illness. Dr. Andrew Weil is a fan of chicken soup as a remedy for what ails you too.
Many cultures serve soup as a first course. It is considered wise to warm up your stomach at the beginning of the meal in order to facilitate digestive action. Try having a small cup of soup before you have a meal if you have tummy problems. It also helps fill you up.
So, why not help your body prepare for the meal? This soup may be able to help you ward off the winter colds. It is worth a tasty try! Preventative medicine is the best.
So, there are many reasons to eat this yummy soup!
Recipes for soup lovers!
- Tasty Turkey Soup with Mushrooms
Wonderful healthy and tasty turkey soup. Luscious to eat and good for you!
- Black Bean Soup
Black Bean soup New Mexico style
- Creamy Healthy Garbanzo Soup
Hearty and creamy winter Soup. This creamy healthy Garbanzo Soup Recipe is both frugal and good for you! It has a huge taste!
- How To Make Homemade Noodles Simple and Easy
Homemade Midwestern Noodle Recipe. Healthy eating for cold weather. Suitable for lasagna noodles as well. Easy way to make classic comfort food noodles.