Egg Roast Recipe.
Egg roast is a popular dish from the state of Kerala which is in south of India. Kerala which has a tag line of “God’s own country” is a very beautiful state with lots of water and greenery. This state is probably is one of most beautiful state of India if not the most beautiful. Kerala had their cuisine that is mixture of three major communities which live there for centuries (The Hindus, The Muslims and The Christians)so their food has strong influence of all three major communities there. The Malayali cuisine ( as Kerala cuisine is knows) is complete cuisine and it is not only very easy to make but also very tasty. The ingredients are easily be available all over world and online too. Now why this dish is called Egg Roast is beyond me as the eggs are not roasted at all. In fact nothing is roasted in the Egg Roast. This dish is very much liked not only by adults but also by children and they love to eat it. I made it yesterday for the first time and invited 3 children from neighborhood , just to see if they like it and believe me they liked it so much that they ate enough which was like for serving 5 person. This dish doesn’t have too many calories and has lots of healthy ingredients so healthy and of course tasty. This dish combines the flavors of Malabar Coast with the spicy aromas from the plantation of Kerala.
- 8 Eggs, Hard Boiled
- 400 Grams / 13 Oz Onions, Sliced
- 25 grams / 1 oz Garlic Pods, Peeled and Chopped
- 8 grams / 0.25 Oz Ginger Fresh, Julienned
- 4 Curry leaves
- 3 Tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Green Chillies, Chopped
- 1 gram Turmeric powder
- 1 gram Fennel seed powder
- 10 grams Coriander / cilantro powder
- 4 grams Red chili powder
- 1 gram Cumin Powder, Roasted
- 1 gram Garam Masala
- Salt, To taste
- 1 gram Black pepper, Crushed
- 10 grams Coriander / cilantro leaves, chopped
Method of Prepration
1. Boil the eggs hard. Peel them and make gashes in them. Care should be taken that after gashes the egg should not break in to parts.
2. Take a heavy base pan.
3. Heat oil.
4. In the oil add chopped garlic, julienned ginger, sliced onions, chopped green chilies and curry leaves
5. Now turn the heat to low.
6. Stir fry till the onions turns translucent.
7. Now add red chili powder and turmeric powder and stir fry for half a minute.
8. Add Cumin powder and salt.
9. Stir fry for few minutes.
10. Turn the heat to medium.
11. Add tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes are soft and mashed.
12. Add eggs and stir fry.
13. Now add crushed black pepper.
14. Turn the heat to low.
15. Add Garam masala and a part of chopped coriander / cilantro.
16. Now cook till the oil separates from the sides of the pan.
17. Eggs should be slightly crisp by now.
18. In Kerala they serve it with Appam but you can serve it with roti, paranthas or any kind of bread you fancy or rice.
1. While cooking eggs with tomato and onion mixture make sure the eggs don’t break.
2. If you don’t like chili then you can avoid chilies.
3. If you do not have olive oil then you can make it in vegetable oil or any other cooking oil.
4. Always use heavy base pan.