Quick Spanish-Sardine-Vegie Pasta
Quick and Packed with Nutrients
Despite having a very packed workday, I always try to have nutritious meal. So I gravitate towards quick meals, that is, quick and easy to cook and usually one-dish meals.
I also try to make my meals healthy by choosing more nutrient-packed ingredients like pasta with vegetables. It is a great way too for kids to get more vegies.
1 8-oz bottle of spanish sardines, preferably in olive oil or tomato sauce
half of a medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 bunch of chinese cabbage (around 8 to 10 fronds/leaves or as desired) or spinach
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 cups of rotini pasta (tri-color)
2 tablespoons olive oil
parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook the pasta noodles according to its directions. Set aside.
2. In a separate pan,empty the bottle of spanish sardines into it. Saute the sardines with the onions and garlic.
3. Add one tablespoon olive oil and simmer for around 5 minutes.
4. Add half of the sliced cherry tomatoes, turmeric and chinese cabbage or spinach. Cook for around 2 minutes.
5. Mix the pasta and the sauce together. Turn off the heat.
6. Before serving, add the remaining tomatoes and parmesan cheese (if desired).
Benefits of Eating Sardines
Sardines are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and are very good in preventing heart disease.
I also eat sardines for my bones. They are rich in calcium. People who are lactose intolerant can alternatively take sardines.
Stock up now for some healthy dinners!
P.S. For my family, I always buy the bottled sardines. I am always wary about canned goods.