Potato Soup Recipe With Bacon and Scallions, Fabulous!
Also try Potato Leek Soup
- Delicious and Hearty Potato Leek Soup!
This is a delicious hearty and creamy Potato Leek soup, not overly flavorful, but great for a rainy day or fancy dinner party...
A hearty Potato Soup
I'm not much of a cook, in fact, my preferred method of creating and getting food is either by a "one-pot" method such as a crock pot, or take-out. Anything easy, fast, cheap, and preferably healthy. But even remotely healthy works for me.
This is a Hearty Potato soup recipe, that will now stay in my family forever. Our household is busy, two working adults, a teen, a child, and a cat. This recipe fit into our busy schedules with ease. Not only is this recipe delicious and filling, but it's also really easy and it's very inexpensive, especially if you know where to shop! It will also feed quite the crowd if needed, and freezes well for leftovers. With two growing boys, we rarely have leftovers!
My family and I live in the Northeastern part of Ohio. Ohio gets cold and blustery in the winter. There is nothing better than being out all day tending to errands, or going sledding and coming home to this meal. This soup warms the soul and satisfies an empty belly! Great for winter months, potlucks, or family gatherings. It also has bacon on it, and who doesn't love bacon?
To give you a brief idea of how cheap this soup can be...let me suggest collecting the ingredients from any discount grocer, such as Aldi, Save-a-Lot, Value King, Sam's Club or Marcs. For my example, I will reference Aldi and Sam's, since that is where I bought the ingredients from, I also had plenty left over to make this dish more than once. My total spent was $15.75, and again...had plenty of food left for many other meals.
- 5 cups (5.49 a bag) mild or sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 8 cups (1.00 for 8lbs) potatoes, slightly peeled, diced, shredded, chopped whatever you prefer
- 1 box (1.00) cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cans chicken broth (.59 cents) chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (.49 cents) cream of chicken soup
- 1 pack precooked bacon (2.00) bacon (optional), shredded for topping
- 1 white onion (1.00, 4lb bag) onion, diced or chopped
- salt and pepper salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 bag scallions (.99 cents) scallions (optional), sliced for topping
- 1 loaf of crusty french bread (1.99 for two at Sams club) Crusty french bread (optional)
What kind of soup base to you prefer
- Get out your old trusty crock pot!
- peel potatoes slightly, and cut into small cubes, or puree them in a food processor (this is my favorite way to do them). Dice 1 small to medium sized white onion. *for a creamy soup, put potatoes and onion in food processor until they have a puree texture
- pour the 1 can of cream of chicken soup, and the 3 cans of chicken broth into your crock pot. Add the potatoes and onion.
- cook on low for 8 hours, at 7th hour stir well and add 1 package cubed cream cheese, continue to cook and stir until melted.
- serve in bowls with crusty french bread or bread bowls, top soup with chopped scallion, bacon and cheese (optional)! Salt and Pepper to taste Enjoy!
Tips and suggestions
- If you puree the potatoes, make sure you do so until they are smooth and creamy. You can also add a little bit of milk
- Toppings that add to this recipe are crumbled bacon bits (or you can puree this with the potatoes as well), freshly grated cheeses, and scallions
- This is a great soup on a cold day and very filling
Also try Ham Bone Soup!
- HAM BONE SOUP, the only ham soup recipe you'll ever ...
fast delicious ham soup. Don't toss your leftovers!!
© 2012 Rebecca