Fruit Salad Crunch
It's good to eat, and good for you also.
Don't get enough vegetables or fiber in your diet? Then this is the summer recipe for you! It's delicious and nutritious!
I am a person who normally doesn't like to eat carrots, but one day at the River of Life in Honolulu, a salad of shredded carrots, sugar and raisins.
Not to be confused with the 1893 invention of the Waldorf Astoria or the Ritz salad made famous in the British comedy 'Fawlty Towers', this is a revamped, tastier and crunchier salad - transformed to the Faultless Salad.
Easy to make, inexpensive ingredients and keeps well unrefrigerated on hot summer picnics, you won't find anything 'fawlty' in this family holiday treat.
FYI: Don't spend extra money on so called 'baby' carrots because they are full sized carrots that have been broken off and then buzz grind to look like as if they were tender shoots. Peeled carrots taste better.
Ingredients - Makes 4 Servings
- 1 large red apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries,, (or raisins)
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 single serving container vanilla yogurt, (optional)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 medium fresh lemon
- Peel carrots and grate and pour honey over carrots in a large bowl. Add dried cranberries
- Peel and chop apple and mix the juice of one fresh lemon so the apples won't discolor. Add to the grated carrots along with the chopped walnuts.
- Optional: yogurt of any flavor and any other additional fruits. Can use slice almonds instead of chopped walnuts.
1 serving of Ritz Salad without the yogurt
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 9 g|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Home Cooking Salads Fruit No Cook