- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Roasted Beet Salad Recipe and Beet Wine
Roasted Beets with Roasted Garlic Cloves
Beets are a Powerful Detoxer
In the fall of the year five pound bags of vegetables are cheap. You can stock up on carrots, onions, beets and potatoes. You store them in containers such as baskets or even setting them on newspapers, in a cool spot in your home, and they will keep a couple of months. Just make sure you don't leave them in the plastic bags they come in.
Beet are very high in Vitamin C and are a powerful cleanser for your blood and liver. Drinking beet juice is also good for dehydration and will give you an immediate energy boost.
How to Roast Beets
- 5 pounds beets, cut the greens off about 2 inches from the beet and save for salads
- 3 full cloves of garlic, cut off the tops
- cup olive oil, drizzel over top of garlic before roasting
- cup apple cider vinigar and S/P, for dressing after beets are cooked
- Wash and put five pounds of beets into an oven baking dish.
- Along side of the beets, cut the tops off the garlic cloves and drizzle them with olive oil. TIP: I roast more garlic than I need, so I can use it for salads and other dishes. Roasted garlic works well from frozen.
- Put into a 400 pre-heated degree oven for 20 minutes, then take the garlic out and continue roasting for 40 more minutes or until your beets are soft and you can puncture with a fork.
- Let beets cool and peel all the beets. Then cut the beets into bite size pieces. The garlic you should be able to squeeze the cloves out of their shells on top of the beets.
- Make the dressing from 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar( or vinegar of your choice Balsamic works well also) S\P and enjoy. This will keep for 4 days in your refrigerator,
The Value of Beet Juice
Roasted Beet with Roasted Garlic Salad
|Serving size: 2 cups of Roasted Beet Salad|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 13 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Do you like to make wine?
Beet Wine Instructions
We roasted the fist five pound bag of beets now we are going to boil the other five pounds of beets to use the juice we get from doing that to make the wine.
You could juice these beets from raw with a juicer but either way you need to peel them and get your hands red. The beets this way, after they are boiled, can be used in the recipe above or pickle them with your favorite recipe.
STEP 1: After you remove the cooked beets, let the juice cool off , use a funnel to add the juice to your 1 gallon jug.
STEP 2: Add one full cup of white sugar and one package of yeast. You can purchase a wine yeast packet from a wine store but I used a baking yeast packet from the grocery store. They are 3 for 2$. Yeast is the ingredient that makes it ferment along with the sugar.
STEP 3: Cover the top with a plastic wrap and hold it to the top of your jug with an elastic band. Then puncture plastic wrap with a pin to let the air out as the wine ferments.
TIP: Do not put the jug lid on at this point or it could explode and what a red mess that would be.
STEP 4: When it stops fermenting( about a month`s time pour it into your wine bottles. Then add a teaspoonful of sugar to each bottle to make it tastes better. I tasted the wine at this time and it is a good red wine with a great earthy beet taste. I love it and it will be awesome by January first, to toast in the New Year.
Kale and Leek Noodle Soup
- Kale and Leek Noodle Soup Quick Easy Healthy Crockpo...
Kale and Leek Noodle Soup made in a Crock-pot is an easy healthy recipe to make. The kale is a curly ,hearty fall green that taste sweeter if picked after the first frost. The leeks are just big scallions loaded in vitamin C. Putting it all in a croc
- Crab Spinach Pasta in a Garlic Buttery Sauce Quick Easy Healthy Recipe.
Just because we are short on money doesn't mean we have to be short on the heath benefits and flavor of our foods. Crab Spinach Pasta in a Garlic Buttery Sauce is an easy, healthy family recipe. Eating fish gives our bodies the fish oils we need to k