Farewell Summer Casserole
This casserole recipe uses several harvest time favorite vegetables and fruits. While I usually include bacon bits, vegetarians may still enjoy the casserole by excluding the meat.
Rate This Dish
- 5-6 raw new potatoes, boiled and sliced
- 1/3 cup bacon bits or pepperoni slices, (optional)
- 1 small red onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli, heads
- 1/3 cup fresh tomato, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup red apples, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mushroom caps or summer squash slices
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper seeds
- 6 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or argula leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash (and slice if desired) the new potatoes. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Place the cooked potatoes to the side.
- In a large bowl combine the other vegetables. Add the pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and stir. Add the cooked new potatoes and bacon bits or pepperoni. Stir again.
- Add the sour cream and cheese and mix with the seasoned vegetables, spices and meat.
- Transfer all to a large, deep baking pan and cover with lid or aluminum foil. Place the pan into heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and stir casserole lightly. Turn oven temperature up to 425. Return uncovered pan to oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until top of casserole is lightly browned.
- Remove pan from oven and allow casserole to cool for 5 minutes. Garnish top with the basil or arugula. Serve.