- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Delicious, Healthy Black Bean Soup
My Favorite Soup
Best Black Bean Soup
I’ve never done a foodie post and I may not do another one. This one, half-assed at best, I only thought of while I was making my favorite black bean soup. So, bear with me while I try something completely new. The post, that is. The soup I make fairly often.
I love black beans if they are prepared properly and I don’t even know what that means but eating them on a bed of rice is not something I would do. I don't like them in a burrito. I only like them in certain recipes, like the one I made tonight. I am not sure where it came from but I tore it out of a little magazine a long time ago and in the bottom right corner it says, , a show about weight loss. I’ve never watched the show but in a later post I am going to discuss my new cultural awareness project and it may or may not include watching the Biggest Loser. If it's still on. But, for now, the best black bean soup I’ve ever eaten: The Biggest Loser
- 2 cans Black beans, I use low sodium
- 1 can Diced tomatoes, low sodium for me
- 2 cups Water, Not a drop more
- 3/4 cup Finely diced celery
- 3/4 cup Finely chopped onion, white is best for me
- 2 tsp Finely chopped Jalapeno, no seeds & I use slightly more
- 1 tsp Minced garlic, I use slightly more
- 1 tsp Ground cumin, I use Penzeys
- Red and black pepper, to taste
- Drain black beans and put 3/4s of them into large non-stick sauce pan with 1/2 of tomatoes, including liquid. Add 2 cups of water. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and use immersion blender to puree until mostly smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to low (I go slightly higher). Cover pan, leaving cover slightly ajar for steam.
- Cook 20-25 minutes.
|Serving size: Bowl|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 489 mg||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The Unedited Truth
As with most cooks who have spent any time in the kitchen, I tweak most recipes after I make them very precisely on the first try. With this soup, for my taste, I tweak it like so:
- Use slightly less water - for a thicker consistency.
- I use a little more Jalapeno
- I increase the simmer temp slightly to the low side of medium low
- Sometimes I use a chopped green onion along with the white onion
- With any recipe, I use gobs more garlic
- Sometimes I sauté the vegetables before I add them to the soup (not the tomatoes)
- Next time I make it, I'm going to add Cilantro
- If possible, I always use Penzeys spices