Fish and Potato Cutlet, great Sri Lankan snack recipe for any occasion
Sri Lankan Savory Snack
Cutlet is a savory tasty snack that you can eat anytime of the day for your main meals or even as an evening snack or as a party food. Everybody loves cutlets due to it’s savory taste and the crispiness in out and softness in inside. I can eat so many cutlets and I have no idea would I ever get fed up of tasty cutlets.
I make cutlets to spice up a dinner table or bring that ooze to a birthday party or even when we go for picnics.
You can make different kinds of cutlets, such as vegetable cutlet, fish cutlet, fish and potato cutlets, prawn cutlets, Polos cutlets or there could be many variations that you can come up with. I believe this is a Sri Lankan snack.
Ingredients - Filling
- 150 g Fish, Easier to take canned tuna fish
- 150g Potato, boiled & mashed, should have bit smaller pieces
- 1 Big Onion, Finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, Finely chopped
- 1 Tea spoon Ginger, Finely chopped
- 5 Green chiles, Finely chopped
- 1 Tea spoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tea spoon Turmeric & Chile Powder each
- 2 Table spoon Oil
- Salt to Taste
- For Batter: 50g Wheat Flour, Pinch of salt and turmeric, 3 cups bread crumb and oil to deep fry
- Making The Cutlets >> Heat a nonstick pan with oil in medium heat. Then add chopped garlic & ginger. Add the onions and fry it till it gets translucent. Now you can add precooked canned tuna fish into the pan and & mix it well for about 5 minutes. Put the heat on low and add chili powder, turmeric, pepper & salt, mix the mixture well. Add mashed potatoes and mix well. Add lime juice & also salt for taste. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and now you make the cutlets to any shape you like. Grab a small handful and slowly form into ball. Put all the balls in a tray. Note: The most important part when you are forming the cutlet ball, to make sure you don't have any cracks on your cutlet ball. If you have a crack then the cutlet will burst & open when it´s frying.
- Making the Batter>> In a medium bowl, mix the flour, water, salt and turmeric into the batter. The batter has to be the consistency as the binder gum you use for pasting. Now cover the cutlet ball one by one in the batter first and then roll over the bread crumbs and cover the full ball with bread crumbs. Some people like to put it in the flour batter again and cover with bread crumbs again and make it 2 court batter. But I prefer with 1 court of batter. It is your choice.
- Deep Frying>> Heat the oil in a large frying pan in medium heat. When the oil is ready(starts bubbling at the bottom of the pan), Dip the cutlets one by one and deep fry the cutlets in batches till you get a nice golden brown colour outside of the cutlet. Drain the excess oil in kitchen towels.
Serve hot and crispy with tomato ketchup. Kids will love it.
This can be eaten with rice, hoppers and bread as well.
Hope you will like this, just like any Sri Lankans loves it. Good luck with the recipe.