- Food and Cooking
Football Tailgate Parties
Scoring a Touchdown with Great Party Foods and Drinks
August and September are the start of football season and tailgate parties. We all love football season. We enjoy watching a game, getting worked up when we’re winning and still cheering if we’re losing hoping for that Hail Mary pass that will get us to win. For me, along with the game, the tailgate party before the game is where all the fun begins. Spending time with friends and family, enjoying delicious food and being able to hang out with all the girls and giving my husband the opportunity to hang out with all his friends doing something they love is an absolute treat.
Anticipating the weekend and our football get together, we try to keep it simple and within our budget. Everyone invited usually offers to bring something to share and we appreciate it greatly. We usually have a list of favorite foods and drinks everyone enjoys and we delegate different dishes to different families depending on what each one wants to bring.
So, if you enjoy getting together with family and friends to attend a football game or even watch your favorite football team play and win at home on TV, here are our top 25 great football party foods and top 10 drinks you can serve your guests.
Our top 25 Football party appetizers and meals
1. Creamy spinach dip or hummus with pita chips
2. Vegetable dip with a variety of veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower florets, green and red peppers, carrots and celery
3. Fruit kabobs made with grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, and honeydew
4. Shrimp platter with cocktail sauce
5. Make your own deli platter with slices of ham, salami, turkey, pastrami, roast beef, cheese, pickles and olives
6. Premade Italian sandwiches using buns, salami, pepperoni, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and oil and vinegar dressing
7. Pulled pork sandwiches where pork can be made in a crock-pot
8. Old fashion French onion dip with wavy potato chips
9. Chicken wings with a variety of hot sauces
10. Bean and beef chili with rice, French bread, or corn bread
11. Seven layer nacho dip with refried beans, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, black olives, diced tomato, baked and served with tortilla chips
12. Burger or chicken sliders with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles
13. Shrimp, beef and chicken kabobs with zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and peppers
14. Bratwurst and hotdogs with sauerkraut, relish, onions and all the trimmings
15. Chicken quesadillas made with tortillas, chicken and cheese, served with sour cream and guacamole
16. Mini meatballs made with frozen meatballs, cocktail sauce and grape jelly
17. Chicken tenders with ranch or honey mustard sauce
18. Loaded omelet bites which includes eggs, mushrooms, red onions, potatoes, peppers, ham, and sausage made in the oven in a muffin pan
19. Caesar, Chef or Cobb salads
20. Deviled eggs
21. Casseroles of any kind can be premade the day before
22. Mini pizza made with biscuits, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite toppings
23. Potato or macaroni salad
24. Grilled corn on the cob or grilled pineapple
25. Steak and potatoes on the grill
You can also have one guest bring dessert such as cookies or cupcakes.
Our top 10 football party drinks and beverages
1. Beer, the all-time favorite
3. Iced Tea
7. Wine Coolers
8. Fruit Punch
Also include plenty of water bottles to keep everyone hydrated.
If you want to make your party more vibrant add decorations in your favorite team colors. Use tablecloths, napkins, utensils and cups in vivid colors that will get everyone in the mood to party. Decorate your area with streamers, team logo flags, and balloons.
Wear your favorite team logo shirt and remember to take a group pictures to keep as a momento of all the fun you had.
If you're heading out away from home, make a list of all the supplies you may need for your party such as a cooler, ice, folding tables, folding chairs, grill, charcoal, matches, radio, batteries, paper products, garbage bags, sun screen, and a first aid kit.
Above all enjoy your day and hope for a big win!