- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Fresh Banana and Blueberry Pancakes Topped with Vanilla, Cinnamon Butter
Fresh Bananas and Blueberries Make the Best Pancakes
We usually go out every Saturday morning and meet my sister and brother--in-law for breakfast, but last Friday, my husband had surgery on his knee and we couldn't go out the following morning. I wanted to make him a special breakfast so I searched through my recipes and found this pancake recipe among them.
Courtesy of "ForTheLoveOfCooking.com", these pancakes were indeed special. Not to mention all of the health benefits you get from the bananas and blueberries, health benefits you really need right after surgery, even though relatively minor. The older you get the more nutrients you need.
I served these with some little breakfast sausages and coffee and he was very happy. I'm sure if you try them you will be happy too.
Tip For Cooking Pancakes
A 1/4 measuring cup measures out the perfect size pancake, unless your brood likes really big ones. Make sure the pan is hot on medium high heat and then grease the pan. If you are watching fat and calories, a non stick spray is good, otherwise rubbing it with butter is sure to make them easy to flip and add a little more taste also.
After they are in the pan/griddle leave them alone until you see bubbles popping all over the pancakes; see picture #8. Then flip them carefully and wait until you see them golden around the edges and then check underneath to see if they are browned to you liking.
Fresh Banana and Blueberry Pancakes w/Vanilla, Cinnamon Butter
For the Cinnamon Vanilla Butter
Mix together 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Make sure it's mixed until you don't see any dry cinnamon. You can make more if you like and save it in an air-tight container in the refridgerator for toast or other goodies.
For The Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- *3 bananas, mashed well
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl until sell combined. In another bowl, mix the mashed bananas, egg, milk, vanilla and sugar together until very well combined.
- Gently add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or skillet, that has been greased. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges looked cooked.
- Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 2 more minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. A dollop of the cinnamon vanilla butter and a drizzle of maple syrup will enhance the pancakes. Enjoy!!
- * I found that the 3 mashed bananas were a bit too moist for this recipe, 2 bananas made the pancakes cook easier and a better texture.