- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Shellfish Recipes
Fresh Tomato Clam Sauce
Fresh Tomato Clam Sauce
Sure, you can buy clam sauce in a can, and it's very good in a pinch. But, this recipe is so simple and it says "I care about what you eat because I love you"; when you make it yourself. Anyone can make this, I simplified it for that reason. Make it for your date, your loved one or for your family or anyone you care about and love.
I used fresh tomatoes from my yard, but when out of season you can buy them or used tomatoes in a can, they will be good too. It's a healthy recipe because of the extra virgin olive oil and garlic which are good for your cholesterol not to mention the tomatoes. But, that's not what makes it so good.
My husband, who is a meat and potatoes man, loves this recipe, so it has to be delicious. Also, nothing says Italian like tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and spaghetti. I also used fresh Italian parsley, which I also grow in my garden. All these bursts of flavors makes this a delicious meal.
This sauce is better with linguini, spaghetti or fettucini rather then the short pastas.
Photo of Fresh Tomato Clam Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large fresh tomatoes*, peeled and chopped
- 10 oz. can baby clams
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley**, chopped
- 1 lb. thin spaghetti
- To taste grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 10" frying pan and add the onion , garlic, tomatoes and juice from the clams and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté on medium heat with no lid while the spaghetti is cooking. After the juice evaporates a little add the parsley and it sit on top.
- The last 3 minutes of the spaghetti cooking time, add the clams to the sauce (don't leave the clams in too long or they will get tough) and raise the heat a little, stir.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, drain saving 1/4 c. of the water. Add the spaghetti to the sauce in the pan and mix it all together and serve in your favorite bowl. Top with grating cheese if you desire. *If you don't want to use fresh tomatoes, tomatoes from a large can will be good also, just chop them first and use the juice. **If you don't have fresh parsley, use dried only reduce the amount to 1/4 cup.