An Interesting Name for a Delicious Supper
I know the name of this dish is not so pleasant, but the taste is wonderful. This makes a great sunday night supper for the family. It includes meat and a great variety of scrumptious vegetables. You can cook it outside in a turkey fryer. It is kind of like a low country boil without the seafood and extra helpings of vegetables. Give this scrumptious meal a try. I think Garbage Can may taste better than you think.
Cook Time - Varied Time
- 1 head cabbage, cut into small wedges
- 1 large packet carrots, peeled
- 5-6 lbs small potatoes, scrubbed & unpeeled
- 12 small ears of corn, frozen (or 6 fresh cut in half)
- 1 box Robbins hot pork sausage, can use mild if you prefer
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup bay seasoning
- 2 tsp black pepper, course ground
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 medium onions, peeled but whole
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- In a large (9 qt) pot, add 2 pieces of each ingredient alternately until pot is full. (2 potatoes, 2 carrots, 2 corns, 2 cabbage wedges, & 2 pieces of sausage)
- Cover the ingredients with water.
- Add the seasonings to the pot.
- Cook on low heat until all of the vegetables are tender. Drain the juice off. Enjoy! Serve with cornbread for an extra special treat. This is an easy meal for the outdoors because everything is served whole.