- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Chinese Food for Thought: General Tso's Chicken and Stir Fry Noodles
Have Chinese Take-Out at Home!
General Tso's Chicken is probably almost everyone's favourite menu item in any Chinese restaurant. The sweet and salty flavor with the crunchy moist chicken is quite hard to resist. That served with some rice, or even better... some stir fried noodles with crisp vegetables and topped with sesame seeds. (Even while I am writing this, I am drooling at the keyboard) Though, you don't have to wait in line in a cramped Chinese restaurant in the street corner. You could make it yourself! It is a bit of a hassle, but once you make it once, you'll find it to be quite easy, and worth it in the end.
- 1 egg
- 60ml soy sauce
- First beat the egg. Add cornstarch and continue to mix.
- Then, add soy sauce, it should be a thick gooey like consistency that is almost like paste. That's it! Easy right?
- 1 kg chicken fillets, cubed
- Cornstarch coating
- 100g cornstarch
- 100g sugar
- 60ml water
- 120ml soy sauce
- 400ml chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- broccoli florets, cooked
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- Begin by coating the chicken chunks in the cornstarch coating, one at a time. Heat oil in a skillet, or preferably a wok, and cook the chicken chunks 6-7 pieces at a time, till they are golden and crispy. (Roughly 3-5 minutes) Remove from oil, and allow it to drain on paper towels. Keep them in an empty oven, to retain some heat.
- Next, mix the cornstarch, water, sugar, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and chicken broth together in a separate bowl. This is the primary sauce for General Tso's chicken.
- Now, using a wok, pour the sauce in it on a low heat, and let it simmer slowly. Once it starts to bubble, add the chicken pieces, and stir rigorously so that they are coated. Continue to mix well and stir the chicken, till the sauce thickens. At the last moment, add the broccoli and incorporate well. Serve warm over rice, or stir fried noodles.
Stir Fried Noodles
This is my own personal version of stir fried noodles. I used spaghetti instead of noodles because I didn't have any on hand. It works just as well, and is a very good substitute.
You will need:
- Thinly sliced onions and peppers (any variety)
- Cooked spaghetti ( or noodles)
- Sesame seeds
- Using the same wok, as the General Tso's Chicken(it has the leftover sauce), add a bit of olive oil and begin to sweat the vegetables, don't cook them too much, keep them a bit crunchy.
- Next, add some sesame seeds and continue to stir fry , just to mix everything around.
- Finally add the spaghetti, and really mix everything together, ensuring that it has all been coated properly. This is a very quick process, and do not leave your wok unattended, you don't want to spend your evening scraping spaghetti from your wok.
Once everything has been mixed together, remove from the wok, and serve warm. Enjoy!
**Note: If you decide not to make the General Tso's Chicken, add 1 tbsp of soy sauce to the noodles while its being stir fried.**