- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Best Brownie Recipe: Easy Chocolate Caramel Browies
German Chocolate Brownies
First let me say that the only thing "German" about these brownies is the type of cake mix that is used. Honestly I'm not really sure where this recipe came from but our family has been making it since I was a little girl. It is one of the easiest recipes that I have ever seen to spruce up a regular brownie. However, consider yourself warned. Not only is this the most rich and decadent brownie that you will make, it is one of the easiest. We only make this during the Christmas season to set out for guests or give to special people in our lives because of the richness. So beware that if you decide to make these, they will probably continue to be requested by all who eat them!
Caramel Brownie Ingredients
1 box of German Chocolate cake mix
1 small can of evaporated milk (5 3/4 oz) If you need to get the larger can, the small can equates to about 3/4 c.
1 14 oz. bag of caramels (we use Kraft but any would work)
1 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips (I like milk chocolate but you could use semi-sweet)
3/4 c. butter
1 oz. regular milk
Tip for Melting Caramels for Caramel Sauce
Be sure that you melt the caramel on low and stir frequently. If the caramel burns you will need to start over. The burned taste will be tasted throughout the brownies.
Recipe for Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and *flour pan, 9x13 inches. Melt caramels with 1/3 cup of evaporated milk.
- Mix cake mix, melted butter and remainder of evaporated milk plus one ounce regular milk in a bowl.
- Put 1/2 the cake mixture in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture. Follow this by pouring the melted caramel over the chocolate chips.
- Spread the remaining mixture over the melted caramel. I have found that it is easiest to drop spoonfuls throughout the caramel so that it is easier to spread. You will not have a completely covered chocolate caramel mix. That's ok. In fact, it's even better!
- Bake for an additional 18-25 minutes. The brownies will not be completely firm. This is because of the melted chocolate and caramel goodness inside. Do not over bake or they will burn.
*I like to use cocoa powder instead of flour just in case it doesn't bake off. The cocoa powder will blend with the brownies.
Be sure to let the brownies cool completely. It will be hard to resist but they will be easier to cut.
Preparing the BrowniesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Be careful not to sneak a taste before dinner or they will become your dinner! I hope that you and your family enjoy these delicious brownies. If you like them, comment and share the brownie love.