- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten Free Donuts
Gluten-Free Chocolate Donut Recipe
They look like real donuts, and taste like real donuts. They must be real donuts. In fact, they're gluten-free baked donuts.
They do sound slightly odd. Perhaps even scary for the normal crowd. But these gluten-free chocolate donuts are the real deal. You would never know that they are gluten free.
Warm donuts, covered in chocolate glaze, soft, and so delicious you'll forget they're special when you take the first bite. They are indeed special.
The chocolate donuts are slightly crispy outside and perfectly soft inside. Not too sweet, they’re fragrant with that all-familiar chocolaty flavor.
The wonderful idea behind a baked donut is that they're obviously not dipped in a pot full of oil, sparing you from those extra calories and fat.
Baked donuts are actually quicker and easier to make. It involves only a little bit of mixing by hand and baking the batter in the oven. That's it! Simple, healthier and delicious.
I do want to remind you that a donut pan is absolutely essential. They are available in both the big and small version.
I would also suggest that you double the recipe because these doughnuts will disappear quickly!
Choosing gluten free flour for your gluten free donuts
There are many gluten-free all purpose flour on the market. You can use Red Mill's gluten free flour, which has the exact same ingredients for this flour mix. The only difference is in the ratio. I decided to mix my own flour since I already have all the ingredients in the pantry.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 Tbsp dry milk powder
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Instructions for Gluten-Free Donuts
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared doughnut pan about 2/3 of the pan.If you overfill them, you won't see the middle hole in the middle.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the doughnut comes out clean.
- Let doughnuts sit for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting. See chocolate frosting recipe below.
Chocolate Frosting for Gluten Free Donuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioner sugar)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
Stir together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter and enough milk to make the glaze the consistency you want. Dip your cooled doughnuts into the glaze, and top with sprinkles.