- Food and Cooking»
- Food Safety»
- Food Allergies
Gluten Free Fried Mushrooms
Finding ways to make foods we miss.
Several years ago, it was determined that my two children, and myself have Celiac disease. That meant no gluten, at all, anytime, anywhere. For a short time, I made separate food for my husband, and he had his own breads and such. We even had stickers that we put on EVERYTHING that came in the house, however, the kids and I kept getting sick. You see, one little crumb, even one you cannot see, or one speck of flour can trigger an auto-immune reaction. After one particularly bad week, my husband decided to go completely GF with us, well, at home anyway. He eats whatever he wants if he or we go out. I've spent the last 2 years trying to recreate many things that we miss having. A big one, was fried foods in general. I made a great recipe about a year ago for basic fried foods, and it works great. But my husband was still missing fresh fried mushrooms. Even most restaurants do not make them fresh anymore, they throw frozen ones into a fryer. Tonight was the night, it worked, and these mushrooms were amazing. My son, 8, and NEVER touched a mushroom willingly; ate 2 and was begging for more! My daughter, 7 had a bite of one I made without cheese, and was mad I didn't make more without the cheese. And she thinks even the WORD mushroom is awful, LOL.
Here's the link to the regular fried breading recipe!
- 1 package (about 8) Baby Portabella mushrooms
- 2 oz cheese- cheddar, mozzarella, your choice, *optional*
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 1 Tbsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp each sage, parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2-4 Tbsp broth or stock, I used my own homemade bone broth
- Heat oil in a deep pot; Pop the stems out of the mushrooms, (save these for stock or chopping for toppings)
- *Cut cheese into small cubes, cut to fit each mushrooms cavity; press cheese cubes into the cavities.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- beat eggs, then mix into dry ingredients. Add just enough broth to make a thick batter, then beat it all together for 1 minute.
- Once oil is hot, coat mushrooms and immediately place into hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes, turning over about halfway through.
- remove to drip pan, and serve warm.