- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Preserves
Who Doesn't Love Preserves?
I am constantly on the look out for gluten free and vegan friendly recipes. The winter was full of hearty soups and stews. Since spring is upon us, it's time for the berries! I've been doing some research on making jams and preserves. Luckily, I didn't need to tweak too much to make this recipe Glegan (gluten free + Vegan).
The taste of the strawberries are wonderful with the added sweetness of sugar. Remember you can always add more sugar if you like it really sweet. This is perfect for your morning toast, scone, muffin or simply on crackers.
I hope you enjoy!
2 pounds strawberries
1 3/4 C sugar
2 lemons juiced
1. Wash and cut strawberries. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Transfer to a heavy bottom saucepan to help prevent burning.
2. Add a cup of sugar and lemon juice. Cook on low until all the sugar has dissolved stirring frequently. CAREFULLY taste a bit on a spoon after letting it cool for sweetness and add additional sugar if necessary.
3. Increase to medium high heat and boil until mixture reaches 220°. This is necessary to make the right consistency. Skim and remove any foam if desired.
4. Place in prepared sterile jars and process in a waterbath for 10 minutes.
5. Cool and store.