Gorgonzola Bacon Stuffed Summer Squash
Stuffed Summer Squash -
There are some seriously good recipes for summer squash out there, but I'm willing enough to say that there's nothing quite as unique as this one. While other recipes focus on a firmer casserole like filling of eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs, this recipe defies the tradition and delivers an oozing stuffing of Gorgonzola cheese, bacon and crispy fried onions. Yeah, now that's a stuffed summer squash recipe! Sure, they might be a bit too heavy for an everyday staple, but if you're looking to impress guests, these easy stuffed zucchini should absolutely be your recipe of choice!
- 2 Medium Size Zucchini
- 4 Slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Gorgonzola Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
If Gorgonzola cheese is unavailable or hard to find, one may substitute with regular Blue Cheese crumbles, or even Feta cheese. For a bit more Italian approach, try substituting bacon with pancetta.
- To prepare the zucchini for scooping out, bring 2-3 inches of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Just barely trim off the ends of each zucchini and add them to the boiling water.
- Cook the squash for 3-5 minutes. The goal here isn't to cook them thoroughly, it's just to soften the insides. Once time has elapsed, remove from the water and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, cook up the bacon until the desired crispiness is reached.
- The yellow onion will also need to be prepped during this time. Quarter the onion and slice it finely. Add the sliced onion to a baggie with the flour, salt and pepper. Shake well to evenly coat the onion and proceed to fry in one inch of oil set to medium-high heat. The onions should take 4-6 minutes to turn a golden brown, at which time they can be removed from the oil and allowed to drain.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Shifting back to the cooled zucchini, begin the process of assembly. To do so, cut a 1/2 wide section lengthwise down the top of each squash. Pull this out and scoop out the insides of the squash with a spoon. At this point, the zucchinis should look like little canoes.
- Using your hands or a towel, squeeze excess moisture out of the squash insides and chop up well. To the insides, add the 1/4 cup of Gorgonzola cheese and stuff the mixture evenly back into each zucchini.
- To the top of each squash, gently push down an even amount of bacon and crispy fried onions.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Final Word - Gorgonzola Bacon Stuffed Summer Squash
Offering a variety of textures and mouthwatering tastes, these cheese stuffed zucchini are excellent! The bold and rich flavors of Gorgonzola cheese and bacon pair perfectly with the sweetness of the onion and the delicate zucchini. It's just one of those recipes that you'll have to try to understand! I appreciate you stopping by to read this unique recipe for bacon stuffed summer squash. Please enjoy, and be sure to leave me a rating!