- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Gourmet Recipes for Sweet Potato Casserole and Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes are a staple dish to serve alongside a roast turkey or baked ham during the holidays. So is the typical sweet potato casserole. Different flavors can be added to both versions give it a little kick. Adding a liqueur like an orange flavored one (Grand Marnier) or even a rasberry one (Chambord) can give it a touch of flavor, as well as incorporating flavorful ingredients like orange zest, candied orange peel, and dried fruits. Coconut adds sweetness as well as texture.
Candied sweet potatoed can be made with fresh sweet potatoes or yams, or the canned variety. If using the fresh potatoes, first boil them softly in water or bake until tender. Then cool, and peel. If using the canned sweet potatoes, drain them well before using.
Recipe for Chambord Liqueur Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Chambord raspberry-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons softened butter, plus additional for buttering dish
- Pinch of salt.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain if boiling them, then cool. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into slices or cubes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the sweet potatoes a buttered oven-safe baking dish. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top, and add a pinch of salt. Evenly pour the Chambord raspberry-flavored liqueur over the top.
- Dot the top of the sweet potatoes with softened butter. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole with Coconut
- 8 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Cook the sweet potatoes, cool, then peel and mash.
- Mix the mashed sweet potatoes with 1 cup of the flaked coconut, brown sugar, and the cream until combined, and smooth.
- Spread in a buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of flaked coconut and drizzle with some of the melted butter.
- Bake in a 324 degree oven or until lightly browned and hot throughout, about 20 to 30 minutes.