- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Simple Chicken Pie Recipe
Now, I am the world's worst cook, but this recipe for chicken pie is simply delicious and easy to make. (If I can make it, anyone can!)
This recipe comes from my mother-in-law Angela and hence why I call it Gran Angela's Chicken Pie. I normally make this the day after I have had roast chicken, using the left over chicken.
- Cooked chicken, roughly chopped (enough for four people, or whatever you have left over!)
- Mushrooms (about 8-10 roughly chopped)
- Small amount of oil or butter (roughly 1 dessert spoon)
- 1 onion (medium size)
- Pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cornflour
- Half pint of milk
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise (preferably Hellman's)
- Steamed potatoes (enough for four people, roughly 10-12 medium sized)
- Peel the potatoes and put them on to steam (roughly 30-40 minutes)
- Chop the onion and mushrooms and put into a pot with a small amount of oil or butter to saute.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Blend the cornflour with a small amount of the milk in a jug, and when blended, add the rest of the milk.
- When the onions and mushrooms are beginning to get soft, add the milk and cornflour mixture.
- When brought to the boil, the sauce should thicken.
- Add the chopped chicken and 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise
- When the potatoes are cooked, mash them and add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Put the sauce and chicken mixture into an ovenproof dish and add the potatoes to the top (score with a fork).
- Put into a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are crispy on top.
Instead of making this a pie with potatoes on top, make the sauce and chicken in the same way but put with pasta for an alternative tasty dish.