- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Great Healthy Salad
Beets are low in fat and rich in carbohydrates and fiber. Beets also are a good source of potassium, magnesium, and Vitamin A. They are a root vegetable that does not stay ripe for very long, thus why they are often pickled. Beets have numerous medical benefits.
Grapefruit is another healthy food. It is in the citrus family and called the grape fruit because they grow in clusters like grapes. They have many nutrients such as Vitamins A, B Complex, C, E, and K. They also have calcium, phosphate, folic acid, and potassium. Grapefruits have disease and cancer fighting phytonutrients. It has so many healthful properties that it is considered a super food.
Spinach is also another food with great health properties. It has iron and beta-carotene. Spinach is a super food also. It is packed with vitamins and minerals and is a natural cancer fighter. Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamins C and E. Spinach has potassium and loads of fiber.
Olive oil has numerous healthy properties also. It reduces heart disease. It helps lower the incidences of gallstone formation. It helps prevent colon cancer and helps to lower cholesterol.
Put all of these delicious foods into a salad and have a super healthy, super incredible lunch or supper. Throw in a few onions, walnuts, and a little fruity vinegar for a tasty and healthful salad that is in only enhanced by the addition of a few feta cheese crumbles.
- 3-4 cups baby spinach, fresh
- 1/2 cup pickled beets, drained
- 1 large pink grapefruit, peeled and split into sections
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsps olive oil, extra virgin
- 3-5 tbsps fruity vinegar, raspberry or other
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- to taste salt & pepper
- Place baby spinach in a medium bowl.
- Add the pickled beets and the grapefruit sections. Toss.
- Add the onion slices, walnuts, and feta cheese. Toss well.
- In a small container or jar with a tight lid, add the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Shake it up good.
- Pour the dressing over the spinach and other fruits and vegetables. Delicious. Serve with crackers.