Great Winter Chicken & Red Pepper Soup
Making Soup Making Simple
First of all I should tell you for this recipe I used a Cuisinart Soup Maker, but that being said it doesn't mean you have to have one, obviously you can just use a pot on the hob and a blender or food processor. Just as easy. I have included instructions for both methods.
Secondly I want to share my exciting news relating to my Cuisinart Soup Maker! If you follow me on Twitter (@daisydayz25 if you don't!) then you will know what my exciting news is. I actually won my soup maker via a Cuisinart twitter competition. All I had to do was tweet them with my favourite soup recipe, which happens to be roasted butternut squash and carrot soup, and presto I was chosen as that weeks winner. My amazing soup maker turned up this week and I set about testing it out on my first recipe straight away.
So the first recipe I came up with was Chicken and Red Pepper soup. And it was super yummy, simple, healthy and really cheap. I think this would make the perfect winter warming recipe for the whole family. The kids will love it because the Red Pepper adds a nice little sweet taste to it.
Plus if you don't eat it all it will keep fresh for a few days in the fridge or it freezes really well for eating at a later date.
Using the Cuisinart Soupmaker
It really is the simplest thing ever. If you are using one to make this recipe then set it to 25 minutes, start on high and follow the instructions below. You can make the whole thing beginning to end in 25 mins, its a great time saver, and the soup turns out beautifully. I will be writing a hub reviewing the gadget soon.
Rate this recipe!
- 1 Chicken Breast, sliced
- Half Sweet Red Pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 White onion, chopped
- 1 Potato, peeled and cubed
- 700ml Chicken or Veg Stock
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 1 Clove/half a teaspoon Garlic/lazy garlic, crushed
Instructions for the Hob
- Heat the teaspoon of butter in a pan and add the chicken. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onions and continue to fry on high for another 2-3 minutes
- Add the carrots and pepper stirring mixture for a minute
- Add the potatoes and stock and allow to come to the boil
- Once boiling, turn down to simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat, blend it all together till smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste if you want.
Instructions for Cuisinart Soup Maker
- Put the timer onto 25 minutes, and turn the heat onto high.
- Add the dollop of butter and a tiny dash of oil, allow to heat for a few seconds (it'l sizzle fast!) Then add the chicken pieces and put on the lid, allow the chicken to cook for 2 minutes, occasionally using the stir button.
- Add the onions and garlic and allow to cook for another 2 minutes, again use the stir button a few times.
- Add the carrot and red pepper, put the seal in the lid and allow the veg to sweat for 2 minutes, stir once.
- Add the potato and stock, place the lid on tight again and allow it to come to the boil.
- Once boiling turn to simmer and leave to cook for the remainder of the time.
- Once done, blend it all up till its nice and smooth
- Add salt and pepper to taste if you want
- Serve with a nice chunk of bread (home made if possible) and Enjoy!
- If you want it a bit creamier add 100mls of cream at the end and stir it all together.
- This tastes great with Thyme added to it. Just chop up a few fresh sprigs and add them in with the carrots and red peppers.