- Food and Cooking
Ginger green beans with zucchini
Ginger Green beans with zucchini
Recipe with an Asian flair
Fresh ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and seeds transform these humble veggies into a mouthwatering delight. Serve them with rice, quinoa or noodles to accompany beef, pork or poultry. I used a combination of green and purple beans (purple beans turn green when cooked) and the pale green Lebanese zucchini for this recipe. If you don't have this variety of zucchini, any of the others would work as well. Visually, the light green Lebanese zucchini looks great but Golden zucchini would work nicely, too. If those aren't available, any of the other varieties can be substituted. Most of these are of the green skinned types, either solid green or striped. For the beans, you can substitute yellow beans for the green or purple. I do like to stick with Heirloom or Open Pollinated varieties of vegetables as they are awesome and non GMO. Taste wise, each variety is subtly different but all are enjoyable. This recipe isn't set in stone but is easy to substitute one type of bush bean for another and the same with the zucchini.
This recipe also works wonderfully using an Oriental variety of eggplant for some or all of the zucchini.
Have fun, experiment and enjoy!
- 1 lb fresh beans, stem ends removed
- * 1 medium (1 to 1 1/4 1b) fresh zucchini, any variety
- 3 TBS vegetable oil, I like Soy or Canola oil for this recipe
- 2 TBS fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 TBS fresh garlic, finely minced
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TBS sesame seeds, white or black
- pinch salt, sea salt is preferred
- * substitution - 1 medium (1 to 1 1/4 lb) oriental eggplant
- Slice off stem of zucchini. Slice in half lengthwise then slice the halves diagonally in 1/4 inch slices. Steam beans and zucchini together over boiling water until tender crisp. Drain.
- In Wok or large fry pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat a few minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic.
- Sauté them for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans, zucchini, soy sauce and salt. Continue sautéing for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. add the sesame oil and seeds and toss.
- Ready to Eat!