Hawaiian Frank and Beans recipe
1931 PINEAPPLE ADVERTISEMENT
This recipe is from an old church cookbook from the early 1960's. For a time everything from Hawaii was rather chic and exotic. There were lots of recipes calling for pineapple or other items from the newest state in the union.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 20 ounce can pineapple rings
- package hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 31 ounce can pork and beans
- Drain pineapple rings, reserving syrup. Cut into chunks.
- Saute green pepper, onion, pineapple and hot dogs in butter.Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add pineapple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce, catsup and brown sugar. Heat until bubbly.
- Pour beans into large baking dish, add pineapple mix and stir gently to blend.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.