- Food and Cooking
Healthy Breakfast Recipes for Time Poor People
Don't have much time in the morning to whip up a breakfast? Do you often find yourself in a McDonalds' drive-through at 8am only to regret so later in the day?
A tasty, healthy breakfast that gives you a positive start to the day is often not as time consuming as you might think!
All of these recipes are approximately 300 calories and highly nutritious with high protein, low carb, high fibre and rich in many vitamin and minerals whilst taking less than 5 minutes preparation!
Egg and Veggie Scramble
- 3 to 4 Eggs
- Finely chopped vegetables e.g. spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, olives (prepare in advance to save time in the morning)
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 serving of apple, mixed berries or orange
Add vegetables to heated oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook gently over medium heat. Later add eggs and scramble. Serve with fruit on the side.
2 Ingredient Protein Pancakes
- 2 Eggs
- 1 medium banana (overripe is fine)
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- Optional: 1 tbsp of almond meal
Mash a banana and then add 2 eggs and whisk to a mixture.
Brush a pre-heated non-stick frying pan with oil, pour in mixture and cook over medium heat until bubbles form on one side, then flip using a spatula. Cook for another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
Serve with berries and maple syrup or honey
Spinach, Mushroom and Cheese Omlette
- 3 eggs
- 1 small mushroom thinly sliced
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 handful of grated cheese
Whisk 3 eggs with spinach and chopped mushroom
Pour into a pan and cook on low-medium heat
Add grated cheese on top
Fold egg in half and cook with lid on for a minute or two before serving.
Optional: serve with baked beans and cup of green tea
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Ground chilli
- 1 tsp Ground garlic
- ½ tsp of ginger
- ¼ finely diced red onion
- Chopped coriander
Optional: 1 small thinly sliced mushroom
Whisk eggs with chilli, garlic and ginger, coriander, red onion
Fry omelette on low heat (You can divide the mixture into two batches)
Serve with a chapati or low Carb Tortila and cup of chai tea or turmeric milk.
How often do you eat breakfast?
Yoghurt and Mueseli
- 1 serving of yoghurt (use low-fat greek yoghurt to give the meal a protein boost)
- 1/3 cup of raw steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp of flax seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 handful of mixed berries
- 1 chopped banana
- 1 handful of walnuts
Combine the above ingredients in a bowl, mix and serve with a drizzle of honey
Chocolate and Banana Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder or add 1tsp cocoa powder to vanilla or unflavoured protein powders
- 1 banana
- Add a handful of berries or a kiwi fruit for a vitamin C and fibre boost
- Add 1 tbsp of peanut butter or any type of nut butter for extra calories if you are trying to gain weight
- Add 1 tsp of instant coffee for a caffeine hit and give the drink a mocha twist
- Add 1 tbsp of flaxmeal for extra omega-3 content
Simply combine the above ingredients and blend