Chocolate Coconut Cake Recipe
Rate this recipe!
The best chocolate cake recipe ever!
Say 'aloha' to the best chocolate cake recipe you've ever come across. If you love chocolate and enjoy the tropical taste of coconut, then this is the cake for you!
I made this cake for my sister-in-law's birthday, and everyone who had a piece loved it! The cake is easy to make, moist, and the freshly shredded coconut adds an island touch! Top it off with fresh raspberries and you've got yourself a delicious treat that's bound to please. The recipe calls for coconut palm sugar and agave nectar - both of which are low-glycemic and have a ton of vitamins and minerals. And the secret ingredient? Instant coffee powder!
I prefer cake that's not overly sweet, which is why I used coconut palm sugar instead of regular sugar for this recipe. For the cake topping, I've replaced confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar) with a blend of powdered milk and agave nectar. The frosting comes out just as sweet and creamy with fewer calories and more coconut kick!
Tip: Use organic, natural ingredients whenever possible
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or substitute 1 cup with coconut flour)
- 2 cups coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup freshly shredded coconut
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered milk (or more depending on consistency)
- 1 cups agave nectar
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9 inch springform pan with coconut oil and sprinkle with flour. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Make sure to smooth out cocoa clumps. Add the milk, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed. Bring water to a boil and add to mixture. Stir thoroughly until batter is even. Pour in springform pan and set in the over. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from springform pan and allow to cool completely (2 hours)
- FROSTING: Mix cocoa, coconut oil, instant coffee, and vanilla extract thoroughly. Add one cup of powdered milk, then 1/3 agave nectar. Mix. Continue adding the powdered milk, alternating with the agave nectar. You may need to add more powdered milk or agave nectar depending on the consistency. Add a generous layer of frosting over cake. Top with fresh shredded coconut and raspberries.
If you're looking for coconut recipes, then definitely consider making this lovely chocolate-y delight. I really hope this is one of the best cake recipes you'll ever try! Let me know what you think by rating the recipe and leaving a comment below. Thanks and happy cooking!