- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Healthy French Toast Recipes: Recipe For Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
Healthy Recipes - French Twist
This is a recipe I cut out years ago from Eating Well magazine. I love it because it is one of my favorite breakfast dishes - French Toast.
It also contains some of my favorite ingredients - apples and raisins. Coincidentally, it also is one of the easiest preparation methods for French toast - baking.
This is a wonderfully delicious, healthier version of a classic American breakfast dish - hope you like it as much as I do!
This is also a do-ahead recipe and can be saved in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours.
Photo Credit: Flickr Cowbite
Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
Makes 12 servings
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups liquid egg whites like Egg Beaters
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 one-pound loaf sliced whole wheat bread
- 1 cup chopped dried apple rings (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Whisk together milk, egg whites, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut crusts off 8 bread slices and set that aside.
- Cut up the crusts and the remaining slices of bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss the cut bread only with the dried apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put the bread mixture in the pan.
- Layer the reserved crustless 8 slices over the top of the casserole - trim to fit.
- Whisk the milk mixture again and then pour evenly over the bread.
- Press bread down with the back of a spoon making sure all the bread is moistened.
- Cover with parchment paper and then foil - refrigerate for 8 hours - or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the casserole covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until puffed, set and lightly browned - about 20 minutes more.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Summing It Up on Apple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast
French Toast is a delicious breakfast offering - whether it is for a leisurely Sunday breakfast for yourself, company or part of a brunch menu.
This particular recipe is one of my favorites because you can make it up the night before - up to 24 hours before - then cook when you are ready. Allow 1 hour for baking and you're all set.
Try substituting other dried fruits for the raisins and apples - it is equally delicious. Dried cranberries and blueberries make a delicious variation to the apple recipe.
Adding a bit of chopped walnuts gives it a crunchy and flavorful twist plus more of a nutritional boost.
Chopped almonds and almond extract instead of the vanilla extract also is delicious.
I've also added finely chopped peaches as well and cut back a bit on the egg white. Peach French toast has always been my #2 favorite!
You can also substitute some finely cut up regular apples for the dried apples - just back off a tiny bit on the egg substitute as well - or just bake a bit longer.
Serve this with fresh fruit or all by itself - it is a delicious way to start the day!
Crispy Apple French Toast
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Sources for French Toast Recipes
- Recipes, French Toast - Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE
Recipes Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns on Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE.
- How to make Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole - HowTown.com
Make cinnamon french toast casserole. Delicious cinnamon french toast casserole.
- Cinnamon-Apple French Toast Recipe
Vegetarian Times delivers simple, delicious food, plus expert health and lifestyle information that is exclusively vegetarian but wrapped in a fresh, stylish mainstream package that is inviting to all.
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast Recipe - Allrecipes.com
This is a very unique breakfast dish. Good for any holiday breakfast or brunch, it's filled with the fresh taste of blueberries, and covered with a rich blueberry sauce to make it a one of a kind.
Eatingwell.com for more recipes
- Recipes & Menus | Eating Well
Thousands of quick healthy recipes for eating well from EatingWell Magazine, plus nutrition information and a free weight loss program. Expert advice on eating right and cooking healthy for kids, for two, for wellness, diabetes, heart health, weight
More Links on Breakfast French Toast, Etc.
- Recipe For Breakfast Pizza
Pizza for breakfast? I thought ridiculous! However, I started making this back in the 1970s and 1980s when my kids were small and found that getting them to eat breakfast was a snap once I found creative and...
- Breakfast Bread Pudding Recipe
Oh yes - this is a wonderfully put together recipe that you can even assemble the night before and bake in the morning. It is much like French toast but then more like - well, bread pudding! It makes a great...
- How to Make Quick French Toast
Use up your stale bread, get a couple of eggs, a cup of milk, some syrup and a tablespoon of butter and you have yourself the breakfast staple we all know as French Toast. It's the easiest of breakfast...
- Egg-free French Toast
Hi, my names is Patty, mom of six, three with food allergies, I also have food allergies, and, my husband? Diabetic! Phew! Sounds like a crazy household, and you are right, it has been full of...
- 5 Tips to Making Better French Toast. Brunch Recipes...
Most people know how to make French Toast, few people know how to make GREAT French Toast! Here are 5 secrets to better French Toast everytime.
- Several Different Ways to Make French Toast
French toast is a great food be it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It offers grains and proteins and can be served in several different ways offering you a wide range of options. Be it smoothered in syrup or...
- The "Best" French Toast & Crepes
French toast is a ready remedy for stale bread. After all, french toast (a misnomer apparently) is simply stale bread battered with eggs then fried. French toast is not actually French in origin. The...